Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Black Cat on the Red Sofa - BBCHAT with Dawn Frederick

Today BBCHAT continues! Bigblackcat's Humane Agent Talk: In Which A Particularly Agreeable Agent Answers a Series of Questions that Have Nothing to do with Queries or Submission Guidelines. Yeah, don't try to make an acronym out of that last bit.

The BBCHAT is designed to get the personality of the agent in the spotlight, and an enterprising querier can use this information to figure out if the agent is a good fit for them, rather than just another agent who happens to cover their genre.

The last question involves something that oddly resembles a contest, and ties in with the blog name. Note the rules: to participate you need to follow the blog (so include your screenname in the email so that I can identify you), and your answer must come in an email to me, not a post in the comments section. First person to email me with the correct answer wins. You'll notice the "email me" link above my followers box to the right. Or maybe you won't notice it. In which case, you'll be totally flummoxed.

Today’s guest is Dawn Frederick of Red Sofa Literary Agency.  Check out Red Sofa’s blog for Dawn's genres, submission guidelines, industry info, interviews and other pertinent posts!

The Red Sofa BBCHAT:
BBC: What are you reading right now and why do you like it? (excluding slush, full requests and client mss, of course)
RS: Million Little Questions by Heather McNamara (a choose-your-own-adventure for the “big” kids)
The Social Animal by David Brooks (everyone should read this book)

BBC: Paper or plastic? (a book or an e-reader?)
RS: Both. I love the advantages of an e-reader, as it makes an agent’s job much smoother (especially when reading so many manuscripts and partials). But my heart will always be with paper books.

BBC: What's on your bucket list?
RS: I’ve already accomplished quite a few goals on my bucket list, including being involved with roller derby in since 2007. Other items I’d love to accomplish? Living abroad (semi-permanently) at some point – and getting a motorcycle license.

BBC: Have you ever ridden a mechanical bull?
RS: No, have never been interested. But my league has a mechanical bull at our final after-party every year. Does this count at least?

BBC: What type of agent are you?
a) Cheerleader
b) Therapist
c) Bushwhacking Guide
d) Red Ink Saturation Committee Member
RS: Cheerleader and Bushwhacking Guide, with a side of Red Ink. I’m definitely not a Therapist, nor am I looking to be one. So 3 out of 4?

BBC: If you had a guaranteed sell, what type of story would you like to represent?
RS: My obsession (for some time) has been finding a Choose Your Own Adventure graphic novel. I can’t emphasize how badly I’d like to see a book of this nature get published.

BBC: Tell me three things about yourself, one of them being a LIE! First person to email me with the correct guess as to the lie gets... something awesome. –
RS:
1. My favorite food at the Minnesota State Fair is chocolate-covered bacon on a stick.
2. My youngest cat recently swallowed an inanimate object,that had to be surgically removed. It was a sewing needle.
3. My alma mater’s mascot is an Elephant.

8 comments:

MarcyKate said...

Love these little BBCHATs! Entertaining and informative! :)

Robin Weeks said...

I love this series! Just emailed my guess....

Mindy McGinnis said...

Robin - thanks for stopping in and for the follow... going to check your guess now!

Robin Weeks said...

LOL--you mean you don't know? :)

Riley Redgate said...

i've been reading this as 'BB Chat', which is how i assumed you wanted it read. but now my mind has chosen to reorganize the phonemes and turn it into 'BBC Hat.' So now you have a lovely fedora sitting on your Chat Noir in my mind.

just thought you should know.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Dude, you are way overthinking the acronym. And now you'll make me paranoid when I'm trying to come up with the next one :)

LindsayWrites said...

sent you my answer!

malik aayan said...

Nice artical, you did an amazing work.thanks.Quality Beds and Mattresses