Monday, April 25, 2011

Meet the Muse and A New Series of Interviews!

We all have our processes when it comes to writing, and we all find inspiration in different places.  Some of us like to drink tea while we write, some of us can't have that distraction.  There are writers who have to wear the same shirt every time they sit down in front of the laptop or blank journal pad.

Me - I don't need much. An empty bladder, some free time, and my bed is about it. I'm a dedicated librocubicularist - Latin for someone who reads in bed - and I find that it's true of my writing as well.  Often, I write best with my man at my side - the inspiration for my screenname and the guy who sleeps on my head.  My cat.

The b/f is my b/f, but my cat is my man.  He wandered into my life as a hand me down from the ex-husband's co-worker.  He's been with me through two moves and some major life changes.  He's got paws the size of a Ritz cracker and weighs about 20lbs.  He also shows no signs of aging even though he was an adult when I got him and has been with me for a decade.  I don't know if vampirism is rampant in cats, but I have my suspicions about this guy.

In any case, being a writer I should have a totally awesome, really creative, literary-inspired name for my man, right?  Something like Lovecraft, or Prufrock. No.  His name is - Big Cat.  And to add insult to injury, I usually just call him BC.

So when people started calling me BBC over at AQ I had to laugh a little at how much more intwined my man has now become in my writing process and life.  I've had quite a few people ask me why bigblackcat97?  I thought I'd take a moment today to clear that up, plus my man will be helping introduce a new series of interviews starting Wednesday - so stay tuned!

15 comments:

Jen Daiker said...

So excited can't wait! And your man is gorgeous of course he's talked about ;)

R.C. Lewis said...

Holy cow, BC is just like one of my best friend's cats--black, humongous, and sleeps on owner's head. They live across the country now. I miss that big guy.

Looking forward to the new interview series! :-D

Mindy McGinnis said...

Jen - I see you crushin' on my man! :)

RC - I have a weakness for black cats. There have been moments when the weight of him sleeping on my head is slightly unbearable.

Originally BC was supposed to go live with someone else, we were just a stopover for him. I literally said, "Hey there, big man," the second I saw him and he crawled into my lap. I was like, "Yeah he's going nowhere."

Anita said...

BBC, what big eyes you have, and what big FANGS you have! LOL. Love the vampirism comment. You're so wacky. He is really beautiful, BTW. Looking forward to this new set of interviews! How do you find the time, girl? I'm buzzing after one a week. Heh.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Anita - the answer is = I. Never. Stop. :)

Jenny Phresh said...

What a handsome animal! And I love the name.

cherie said...

BC and BBC. You guys are both pretty dang rockin'! Your man is a cutie. =)

Mindy McGinnis said...

Thanks guys, I'd pass along your compliments, but it would only make him more vain. And he's got a pretty high opinion of himself as it is!

Bethany C. said...

Cats generally make me uncomfortable. Both for the sneezing/eyes watering aspect and the fact that they stare at me like their plotting my untimely death. Big Cat, however, seems like a pretty cool old dude--having someone like him puddle around your feet while pounding away on the keyboard would probably be okay.

Like you, I read under the same conditions I write: Sans Liberi (that's my adapted Latin term for "without children"). If the kids are away--mommy can play!

River K said...

Oh, BC's precious!

I've got two black ones, and they're monsters when it comes to my writing! Always knocking things off my desk just for funsies.

Then of course I have to scoop them. And coo and cuddle. And there goes writing :)

Mindy McGinnis said...

Bethany - BC is exactly that, one cool, old, dude. Mellow as hell, but every now and then the tail twitches and he pounces on one of the littler ones and they just get bowled over.

River - BC is past comfortable scooping weight :) I have to cradle his rear with one arm and his armpits with the other. It's kinda like wearing a stole.

kendare-blake said...

BC is so gorgeous! And he must have attitude as big as his paws. Look at that face! Terrific muse.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Thanks Kendare :) You should see the claws on those paws. He's like a fluffy velociraptor.

Matt Sinclair said...

He seems much furrier than my boy and his little girlfriend, who wears a tux but is mostly black. Gotta love black cats!

Mindy McGinnis said...

Oh yes, my man is a furry man! If my camera were charged I woulda snapped a pic of him today stretched out next to a paperback for size comparison. I'm not sure that he's really all that BIG - he's just fluffy!