Saturday, May 21, 2011

BBCHAT's With Her Favorite Agent Lady - Adriann Ranta!

Today BBCHAT continues! Bigblackcat's Humane Agent Talk: In Which A Particularly Agreeable Agent Answers a Series of Questions that Have Nothing to do with Queries or Submission Guidelines. Yeah, don't try to make an acronym out of that last bit.

The BBCHAT is designed to get the personality of the agent in the spotlight, and an enterprising querier can use this information to figure out if the agent is a good fit for them, rather than just another agent who happens to cover their genre.

The last question involves something that oddly resembles a contest, and ties in with the blog name. Note the rules: to participate you need to follow the blog (so include your screenname in the email so that I can identify you), and your answer must come in an email to me, not a post in the comments section. First person to email me with the correct answer wins. You'll notice the "email me" link above my followers box to the right. Or maybe you won't notice it. In which case, you'll be totally flummoxed.

Yup, she's adorable AND has
good taste in writers!
Today's guest is my own, dear Agent Lady, Adriann Ranta of Wolf Literary.  As a biographical sidenote, I have to add that she has a lovely speaking voice and doesn't mind when I send her emails with the subject line "Cholera Update" when fleshing out an idea.

BBC: What are you reading right now and why do you like it?
AR: I’m just finishing up CLOUD ATLAS by David Mitchell, which I’ve wanted to read for a while. It tried to lose me a few times, but what a great book.

BBC: Paper or plastic?
AR: Paper, paper, paper. I read my manuscripts on a Kindle though, as I have a very vivid nightmare of someone bumping me on the subway when I’m holding 300 loose manuscript pages, and tragedy ensues.

BBC: What's on your bucket list?
AR: My bucket list of life, or my bucket list of books? I’d like to travel to Madagascar and read MOBY DICK.

BBC: Have you ever ridden a mechanical bull?
AR: No, I also have very vivid nightmares of mechanical bulls.

BBC: What type of agent are you?
 a) Cheerleader
 b) Therapist
 c) Bushwhacking Guide
 d) Red Ink Saturation Committee Member
AR: (e) All of the above, nearly in all cases.

BBC: If you had a guaranteed sell, what type of story would you like to represent?
AR: I have an ever-changing list of projects I’m looking for, but then something totally unexpected will land in my lap and I’ll wonder why I hadn’t asked for a spiritual picture book treatise on the morality of UFO cow abduction before! Basically, I’m better at leaving the creativity to the writers.

BBC: Tell me three things about yourself, one of them being a LIE! First person to email me with the correct guess as to the lie gets... something awesome.
AR: 1) I appear in “Girls Gone Grabblin’” a documentary on noodlin’.
2) I’m a rabid X-Files fan.
3) I know how to surf.

6 comments:

Riley Redgate said...

Eek... Moby Dick... I'd advise avoiding the agony. XD Or at least skipping those (many, many) pages in the middle where Melville takes it upon himself to categorize species upon species of whales.

In fact, I'd suggest skipping to the last 80 pages, where the plot begins :P

Also, BBC, the fact that 'cholera' is now in your tag cloud? This does not go unappreciated.

Bethany C. said...

I like this chick. Rabid X-Files fans are my favorite--all foamy mouthed and crazy like--David Duchovny can do that to a gal.

Peter Burton said...

Nice lady, Mindy, and a great interview.

I didn't care much for Moby Dick, either. Too much telling, not enough actual story. Probably why the novel bombed when it was first published. But, what do I know? ;)

Mindy McGinnis said...

Riley - you'll notice that cholera has TWO mentions :) However, now I am stuck with either a useless tag, or the necessity of often blogging about cholera.

Bethany - I've got an X Files ringtone. Very awesome, also very appropriate as I tend to lose my phone a lot, and have to call it from the home phone. Thus wandering through the house, trying to track down the source of the X Files theme song.... often hilarious.

Peter - yeah, she's the best. I do <3 my agent.

greenwoman said...

Another great interview!

As for Moby Dick, I'm with everyone else . . . meh!

Then again, I am pretty firmly committed to reading trash. So my opinion might not be worth much!

DevlinDLC said...

Great piece, BBC. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to say I haven't read Moby Dick (Yikes!) particularly for a struggling writer. Hope I don't get crucified for that. Would it help if I said I read a few other classics? Hmmm...see you at AQ.

DevlinDLC