Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Some Refreshing Honesty

I got pulled over this morning.  First time ever.  No lie - I'm 32 and I've never seen those lights go flishy-flash in the rear view.  I knew I was busted the second he swung out behind me by the predatory nature of the grill on his car.

You'll notice by the blog title that I consider lying an integral part of my occupation - but that's the only place it comes into play.  I find the taxing work of making shit up doesn't translate into real life.  I am one of those honest people that you either love or want to punch in the face.

So my conversation this morning went like this:

Officer: Morning - do you know why I pulled you over?
Mindy: I was speeding.
Officer: You were doing 50 in a 35.
Mindy: Wow, that's really bad.
Officer: (blinks and pauses) That could be a high fine, you realize.
Mindy: I'd deserve it.
Officer: Any particular reason you're in a hurry today?
Mindy: Nope, I'm just driving too fast.

And he let me go.  I'll add that he cited my flawless driving record and the fact that the limit had *just* changed as I was rolling into the town limits as the reason, but I think he appreciated my honesty, too.  It's gotta be refreshing for our men and women in the cruisers when somebody says, "Yeah I screwed up," without the excuses and complaints.

So anyway - use our mutually shared gifts of spinning the stories for good, and keep those creative skills on the far side of the brain in the day-to-day.  You never know when some old-fashioned honesty might benefit you.

And lastly - belated B-day wishes and a big congrats goes out to Ms. Riley Redgate!  She guessed correctly that while Mary Kole does in fact live above a burger joint, she is not a vegetarian.  For her impressive efforts at sorting the truth from fiction she gets a copy of GENERATION DEAD by Daniel Waters.

A new SAT is going up tomorrow!  Stay tuned - and drive safe :)

10 comments:

Cyndi Tefft said...

Well done. Sometimes we forget how refreshing it is when someone fesses up without a bunch of whining or excuses. I'm glad the officer let you off. :)

Jayme said...

I had this happen to me once....in a school zone....I taught in the district....I had no excuse. Much you, I accepted the consequences with a smile because I get away with speeding sooooo often it's not even funny.

However, it was a two-car pull over (yeah, I'm not sure either). I got off, but the first driver in line didn't. Pretty sure I could make out some hand gestures as I drove off scott-free!

Bethany C. said...

Honesty is always the best policy. And when it doesn't work for you--flash your boobs.

Eliza Faith said...

rofl that's awesome.

Stephsco said...

The time I got a speeding ticket I also answered honestly. Still got the ticket, going 45 in an area that slowed to 30, but I realized it would have been worse if I got the ticket earlier when I floored to to 65 on residential streets, trying to make it to a wedding on time. I considered myself lucky.

EEV said...

That's great for you! Sometimes people lie just because - and I hate it. And I can't lie - my face flushes and I get nervous, with ice needles in my hindhead. I couldn't even copy on school, and the only time I tried, I failed... LOL

- EEV

Mindy McGinnis said...

Bethany - yeah of course all the fellas at work said it was the D cups and not the truth that got me out of the lurch, but... how is that possible when I was wearing a zipped up hoodie? :)

Not that having boobs hasn't worked out great in the past.... :)

Riley Redgate said...

^EH HEH HEh awkward laughter

I'll be keeping this in mind when, inevitably, a police officer catches me speeding on my way to school >_< absolutely cannot wake up on time...

Riley Redgate said...

Also, "For her impressive efforts at sorting the truth from fiction"

SO MUCH EFFORT! *strains, grunts* =]

Fanfreakingtastic Flower said...

I've only ever gotten one speeding ticket. Stick straight country road I traveled every morning, going down hill...the cop, whose name was Officer Thrasher (no joke), couldn't have cared less when I told him I'd never been pulled over before. He said, "you broke your streak with a doozy."