Monday, July 11, 2011

Those Little Moments

So I saw Super 8 (and yes, it's quite good, don't read further if you don't want it SPOILED).

The end scene, when our heroic little boy grabs his floating locket and it opens so he can see his dead mother's face, get his closure, and move on to bond with his father?.......

Yeah, well, amid all the snuffling and weeping in the theatre I turned to my equally dry-eyed boyfriend and said, "There's like whole cars being sucked up by the power of that magnet. Shouldn't that have ripped his arm right out of the socket?"

To which the b/f patted me on the head and said, "You're so easy to love."

Lesson: Don't take Mindy out in public.

6 comments:

Jess said...

Ha! You're adorably cynical. I love it!

kendare-blake said...

I know! Sometimes they forget to equalize the force. But how about that monster? How adorable was he? If anything was going to choke me up, it was those sweet, sweet monster eyeballs.

cherie said...

My hubster and I had the same discussion after watching Super 8. We were disappointed with how there was so little transition with the relationship change between the kid and his dad. I mean, first the dad did not GET the kid, and the kid is resentful. Fast forward all the special effects and the chaos, and suddenly, they are there hugging and everything is supposed to have been resolved between them. But the thing is, they were totally running in different circles--the dad doing his own thing, and so did the kid. No interaction in between.

Anyway, I won't crit much further than that. It was still entertaining and the kid actors were excellent. =)

Mindy McGinnis said...

Cherie - the kid actors were indeed wonderful, their interplay was hilarious. It was like Goonies on speed.

Kendare - equally hilarious moment, foraging monster plucking people bodies off roof of cave to eat, grabs up girl heroine, hears a funny noise, then EXTREMELY GENTLY PLACES HER ON THE FLOOR. Too funny. I think that's what endeared me to him right there, his care with his food.

Jess - cynical, definitely. Adorable? I have my moments :)

catwoods said...

LOL, BBC. My DH's version is "You're pretty plain."

And since I haven't seen Super 8 yet, I'm going to assume he agrees with your BF in that you don't take the cat's in public!

Jemi Fraser said...

Love it! My hubby prefers when I don't comment on the plot holes and inconsistencies in movies. Think I've mentioned a few too many... :)