Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

I have a roving mind. I'm sure that's a shock to everyone. Through the course of each week I tend to accumulate random wonderings in my mind, most of which never evolve into anything other than a niggling question that's going to bother me until I 1) ask someone who knows or 2) go find the answer myself.

Thoughts lately:

1) Aren't our bodies amazing? When we crave something it's not because we have promiscuous taste buds. Our bodies are telling us we are missing something we need. How does that work? How does my body know for example, that I need protein and so I crave peanut butter? Or I need potassium, so I want a banana? 

2) Plants are smart. They know when to start growing and when to store their food, to turn towards the sunlight and curl up their leaves to preserve water in the heat. So why do some plants grow so high they can't support themselves anymore, and fall over? Are these the dunce individuals in the plant world?

3) How did windmills work a long time ago? Today they make energy and electricity, but a long time ago I'm pretty sure they were used for moving water. How though? Most old farmsteads had one, and I kinda doubt people who had to spend every second scratching a living took the time to build a massive lawn ornament.

What are your Thursday Thoughts? Email them to me, and if you're weird enough, I'll share them!

6 comments:

Suzanne Payne said...

You're mind bounces around like mine does full of randomness. I think it's because we're teachers. lol

Anita Grace Howard said...

Hmm. I'm kind of stuck on the plants growing too tall to support themselves question. I have some flowers doing that very thing right now and it's driving me bananas. I'm considering giving them a mini-trellis and see if they fancy themselves as vines, even though they're no supposed to be. LOL

layinda said...

Wandering minds want to know. ;)

Generally, windmills on farms were pumps for wells. (They were also used as the power source to grind grains into flour - think Holland). I suppose it is possible that they were the root of more complex irrigation systems, via ditches or pipes, but I can't say for sure.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Yes, it's an odd world, the one where I live. Sometimes these questions turn into something interesting... sometimes they peter out. I figured I'd go ahead and start sharing them with my followers!

layinda- good tip on the windmills! I think I want one!

Riley Redgate said...

Oh man. I have SO many wandering thoughts. Today it struck me how bizarre toes and fingers are. Like, jeez, what's WITH these things?

I have an ongoing battle with the existence of the black hole. They're not just in science fiction novels. THOSE FRICKIN' THINGS ARE OUT THERE. It terrifies and fascinates me.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Riley - for a good time, try NOT using them, then you'll see why we have them. Except for the pink toe. That one I don't get. I think it's more for like, prehensile climbing, which I don't think we use much anymore.