Sunday, August 21, 2011

Back to the Stacks!

Tomorrow is back to work for me, more roaming in the stacks and accidentally overhearing the super-private high school conversations in the aisle next to me.

I'm usually not ready, and I think anyone who shares in the three-month long break of summer knows the feeling. Sleeping in is a hard thing to relinquish, and my internal clock takes awhile to reset. Right around Thanksgiving it adjusts, and then we get a break and it acts like someone just ripped it's AA's out. But this year, I'm optimistic. And I've got a mega-nerd reason why.

Yeah, it's books.

There are literally a ton of series coming out that I know my kids are excited about. Books have been trickling into my office over the summer months, waiting for me to bind 'em, stamp 'em, and give them away to kids that are going to spill crap on them and make them stink like cigarettes.

But I have to say I don't care, because they're always apologetic about the stains and one of them even has a special dance for when *his* series gets a new title.

And FYI - a dryer sheet in between the pages will get that stink right out.

What series are you most excited about this fall?

9 comments:

Christine Murray said...

'waiting for me to bind 'em, stamp 'em, and give them away to kids that are going to spill crap on them and make them stink like cigarettes'

Lol! Seriously sounds like a good job though. Being around teens that DANCE about books? How cool is that?

Jess said...

That's so great that one guy has a special dance for new titles! I can't think of a series right now that I'm drooling for, but I'm dying to get my hands on Kathleen Duey's third book in the Resurrection of Magic series...now, if she'd only finish writing it :)

renepeterson.info said...

We have one more week before we go back. As I read your post, I considered how lucky your students are to have a full-time librarian. I teach at a middle school and we share our librarian with two other middle schools and the high school! I find that outrageous for middle school and doubly so for the high school. Best wishes on the transition! I'll be dragging too. I am most excited to re-discover the Harry Potter series with my son who is just old enough now to enjoy it. I am catching all kinds of things I missed the first time.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Christine - the dance has become an icon of our success at promoting pleasure reading :) The kid in question will be graduating this year, but his series isn't on an end run yet. Guess I'll have to mail them to him and imagine the dance from afar!

Jess - Ah yes, waiting for the author to finish writing it is quite difficult, especially when we as writers understand then necessity of getting it right. I can totally relate - I'm a George R.R. Martin fan.

Rene - Yes, my school system is lucky, but we've had a ding put in our librarian shields lately. Our elementary and intermediate school librarians had their hours cut, and our district librarian was moved to teaching half-day. I'm fortunate enough (and I know exactly how fortunate that is, in these times) to still be serving as a librarian full time. I'm one of the few people I know who actually loves their job, and losing it would be murder to my wallet and my soul.

And re-reading Harry Potter is an excellent experience! I'm dong the same myself with my oldest daughter. I agree, it's incredible that J.K. Rowling had so much planned out from the beginning. There are little factoids buried even in Book 1 that make it clear she knew exactly where everything was going from the get go.

Jenny Phresh said...

It's so nice to be this fond of one's job! Up to your eyeballs in books...a fine fate indeed.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Jen - Indeed! I wrote my exit paper in college Honors English about how I want to die crushed under a bookcase full of my favorite books :)

Bethany C. said...

Life is so unfair.

While you're being serenaded by the sounds of turning pages and kids squeaking over the latest summer gossip, I will be inundated with incomprehendable discussions about proteins and monoclonal antibodies...BLACH! WHAT?!!?

Enjoy your books & your kids. My scientists will be driving me bananas!

Mindy McGinnis said...

Ha Bethany - well, if it makes you feel any better we can compare paychecks.... :)

I work for LOVE man, for the LOVE!

Bethany C. said...

You might be surprised!

Have a great day back, BBC!!