Saturday, August 27, 2011

A BBCHAT with Sara Kendall

Today BBCHAT continues! Bigblackcat's Humane Agent Talk: In Which A Particularly Agreeable Agent Answers a Series of Questions that Have Nothing to do with Queries or Submission Guidelines. Yeah, don't try to make an acronym out of that last bit. 

The BBCHAT is designed to get the personality of the agent in the spotlight, and an enterprising querier can use this information to figure out if the agent is a good fit for them, rather than just another agent who happens to cover their genre.

The last question involves something that oddly resembles a contest, and ties in with the blog name. Note the rules: to participate you need to follow the blog (so include your screenname in the email so that I can identify you), and your answer must come in an email to me, not a post in the comments section. First person to email me with the correct answer wins. You'll notice the "email me" link above my followers box to the right. Or maybe you won't notice it. In which case, you'll be totally flummoxed.

A trio of lovely ladies over at Nancy Coffey Literary have agreed to do the BBCHAT, so you'll want to stay tuned in the days to come to learn more about these great agents and chances to win books!

Our guest today is Sara Kendall. Sara is a literary assistant and junior associate at Nancy Coffey Literary. She is interested in MG, YA, fantasy, and sci-fi.

BBC: What are you reading right now and why do you like it? 
SK: I’m reading a non-fiction book called Quantum: Einstein, Bohr, and the Great Debate about the Nature of Reality. Generally, I take an interest in any book about the way we see the world/universe. Throw in some Einstein history, and it becomes irresistible. Because apparently I am a huge geek.
 I also just finished Laini Taylor’s Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I am warning you in advance: when this book comes out, buy it immediately, and then clear your schedule for the day. It’s creepy, romantic, and richly imaginative.

BBC: Paper or plastic? 
SK: Both! I like to pleasure read on paper, but all work manuscripts go on the e-reader so I can have them all at the same time.

BBC: What's on your bucket list?
SK: Meet Leonard Nimoy. Exchange “Live Long and Prosper” hand gestures and own a yurt in Scotland.

BBC: Have you ever ridden a mechanical bull? 
SK: Once. At a bat mitzvah. I was awesome at it. Which is sad because I am awesome at very few things that require coordination, and I never get to show this one off because, shockingly, mechanical bulls are not just out and about on the street.

BBC: What type of agent are you? 
       a) Cheerleader
       b) Therapist
       c) Bushwhacking Guide
       d) Red Ink Saturation Committee Member

SK: A little bit of all of those!

BBC: If you had a guaranteed sell, what type of story would you like to represent?
SK: How to Grow Your Own Dinosaur: The Layman’s Guide to Understanding Genetics and Cloning, and Using Them to Bring Back a Terrifying, Ginormous Lizard.
I’d also really like a dark, action-packed YA with a large cast of characters and lots of witty dialog—guaranteed sale or no!

BBC: Tell me three things about yourself, one of them being a LIE!  First person to email me with the correct guess as to the lie gets... something awesome. 
SK: 1)As a child, I thought Power Ranger was an actual career.
       2)I am the youngest of nine, all girls.
       3)I have double-jointed fingers.

A big thanks to Sara for being a guest on the BBCHAT - and YES everyone I did find an agent who has ridden a mechanical bull. You want to query her right now, don't you?

5 comments:

MarcyKate said...

Love the interviews! Also, really glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read the mechanical bull question!

D.N Robicheaux said...

I'll take a guess at the lie and say Power Rangers as a career. Also, if Ms. Kendall really wants to meet Leonard Nimoy, he's scheduled to be at Dragon Con in Atlanta, Sept. 2-5. Sorry I can't help with the yurt in Scotland.

Anita Grace Howard said...

LOL! The mechanical bull answer!! Sara's a great gal and Miss Mindy, wonderful and witty interview as always. :)

Lynne Kelly said...

I just love that there was a mechanical bull at a bat mitzvah.

Mindy McGinnis said...

MK - I know, I was SO pleased when I found an agent who has in fact ridden a mechanical bull. If I weren't already agented, that query woulda been going out right then!

DN - What? You can't help with the yurt?? Geez.

AG & Lynne - yes, I feel like perhaps my life is a little tame after interviewing Sara....