Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

I have a roving mind. I'm sure that's a shock to everyone. Through the course of each week I tend to accumulate random wonderings in my mind, most of which never evolve into anything other than a niggling question that's going to bother me until I 1) ask someone who knows or 2) go find the answer myself.

Thoughts lately:

1) I keep my house at 70 degrees, either through heating or cooling. So why, during wintertime do I wear pants and sweatshirts inside, but during summer I have shorts and tank tops on? It's the same temperature inside... but my body feels that heat or cold outside.... 

2) Who was the first person to think, "Hey, I wonder what the white stuff coming out of a cow tastes like?" And why cows? Why not horses, or - cats! There's tons of cats in the world, with tons of nipples on them - why don't we milk cats?

3) The universal sign when we want someone to roll their car window down is a fist and a circular motion, like we're turning an invisible handle. But there aren't handles to roll down windows anymore - will this little dash of ASL hang on, or will we soon be making little REDRUM finger motions at each other when we want to talk to someone in a car?

What are your Thursday Thoughts? Email them to me, and if you're weird enough, I'll share them!

6 comments:

Angela V. Cook said...

Milking cats. . . OMG . . . lol. What's that from? There was a movie or a t.v. show that did it or talked about it . . . Hmmm . . . I might have to do some googling. That's gonna bug me now ;o)

Suma Subramaniam said...

Hi Mindy,

Very entertaining post! My weird thought on Thursday is more of a question. How can I roast corn on a cooktop electric stove?

Kelly Bryson said...

The motion for "Hang up the phone" is a bit outdated, too. Who has to put a phone back on the set to hang it up anymore? But it sticks. I think it will be around until we all have chips in our heads and can think our thought onto other people's internal display screens, much like speedometers displayed in a windshield;)

annafantastica said...

Re:1 - Yes, yes, I feel exactly the same way. When it's hot out, as it is today at 100 degrees, I'm able to wear close to nothing. Yet, in the winter, I feel the need not only to hike up the thermostat, but to wear warm clothes. It's odd.

Anita Grace Howard said...

LOL. Redrum. Redrum. Mindy, you make me smile always. Thank you! :)

Mindy McGinnis said...

Angela - what? Someone thought of this already? And here I think I'm original....

Suma - Dude, no clue. Words I've got covered, cooking questions.... er.... ask someone who actually does that stuff :)

Kelly - great point! Today's phones are so different as to what hangs them up (flip, slide, push a button, etc.) I suppose there will never be an updated sign for hang up the phone that is universal.

Anna - Oh good, I'm not weird. Either that or you and I are both weird.

AG - Hey, no problem :)