Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

I have a roving mind. I'm sure that's a shock to everyone. Through the course of each week I tend to accumulate random wonderings in my mind, most of which never evolve into anything other than a niggling question that's going to bother me until I 1) ask someone who knows or 2) go find the answer myself.

Thoughts lately:

1) Harry Potter world at Universal is pretty incredible. You can drink Butterbeer, buy a wand from Olivander, and eat at the Three Broomsticks. It made me think that NOT A DROP TO DRINK would make a pretty crappy theme park: It's 98 degrees today, there are 15,000 visitors in the park, and one water source. Here's your gun. Have a nice day!

2) I admit to being a bit of a gamer, but there's something that bothers me about most video games. You earn perks like bigger weapons or unlock cooler stunts and spells the better you get. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Why don't we start with the awesome stuff and prove our mastery by still prevailing over opponents when the cool stuff has been taken away?

3) In Ohio, you have to jump through many hoops to buy a gun (not trying to start a gun control conversation, btw). If I found a way to grow a gun tree I'd be in big trouble. But if I had acres of the highly poisonous Lily of the Valley, people would drive by and say, "Awwwww, pretty!"

5 comments:

catwoods said...

LOL, Mindy. My chapter book would make a great theme park. My YA, not so much. It all takes place in the winter. Blech.

And as long as we're killing people with pretty poisons, let's not forget that a salt overdose is deadly and fairly easy to accomplish without detection--not that I've tried it, as I'm still on DH #1--but the serial killer known as the Black Widow used it to her advantage.

So many common ways to inflict pain without acquiring a license! Or so I've learned while researching writing projects.

A.M.Supinger said...

LOL So funny!

Gennifer Albin said...

You make a fair point. We should really be writing things that lend themselves better to theme parks.

Suma Subramaniam said...

funny Mindy :-) Wow, I see there are so many ways to kill people in stories without a gun. The lilies are proof to it.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Cat - great point! I forgot that you can kill someone with plain old salt... really the possibilities are endless :)

Gen - Yes, it should be part of our self-marketing scheme. Write an amusement park friendly book....

Suma, AM - Glad I could amuse :)