Friday, August 12, 2011

What's That, Black Cat?

Sometimes truth really is stranger than fiction. Or, as I like to say NF is stranger that F. In that vein, I thought I'd start a new little something. Everytime I learn something shocking but true, I'll share it with you. And that might be quite often, because my life is kinda funny that way. Information loves me.

The last person to be executed by the Guillotine was Hamida Djandoubi on September 10th.... 1977!!

Yep, really.  Proof can be found here, and no, it's not a Wikipedia link.

5 comments:

Masako Moonshade said...

... Dude.

I knew (read that as: I saw it in a movie that looked like they did their research) that they were using the guillotine in Nazi Germany, but it's just kind of hard to imagine that they kept using it afterward.

At the same time, though, it's about as quick as you can get, and there's no way it's going to fail to kill you, so as a method of capital punishment it's closer to the 'humane' side of that rather grizzly scale.

cherie said...

Ouch.

Becky Taylor said...

Totally surprising. I was two!

Anita Grace Howard said...

How do you keep coming up with these great series ideas? What a random yet intriguing little tidbit. :)

Mindy McGinnis said...

Masako - I KNOW! I was totally floored when I read that - 1977! That wasn't all that long ago. But you're right, while it's primitive, it's also a damn effective and humane machine.

Cherie - I don't know on the "ouch." Apparently, there were people who did studies during the French Revolution on whether or not the head remained alert and "alive" after being separated from the body, even if only for a few seconds. If I remember correctly, there was a Dr. who would scoop the heads out of the baskets and say things like, "Blink once if your name is Louis, twice if it's not." Okay that last bit is bullshit, but but the first part is true :)

Becky - I know! I was shocked!

AG - Well, I'm just weird :)