Friday, August 26, 2011

What's That, Black Cat?

Sometimes truth really is stranger than fiction. Or, as I like to say NF is stranger that F. In that vein, I thought I'd start a new little something. Everytime I learn something shocking but true, I'll share it with you. And that might be quite often, because my life is kinda funny that way. Information loves me.

This might not be fresh news to those of us who have gone through pregnancies, as we're warned about all kinds of random things. After buying one of my kittens a Hermione Granger styled wand at the new Harry Potter park at Universal I was then cursed to "Eat Slugs." Repeatedly.

Which reminded me of a little something I came across awhile ago - an eating disorder called pica, in which the sufferer craves and eats non-nutritious substances (which is putting it nicely). Dirt, chalk, feces, paper... well, anything other than food.

Here's the kicker - eating dirt isn't necessarily a bad idea. Apparently it could possibly protect you from toxins, parasites and pathogens. On the other hand, you could be ingesting bacteria and / or worms at the same time.

I'm going to stick to taking vitamins.

7 comments:

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Blech...I've heard stories about people eating all sorts of strange things and compulsions to eat materials that are most definitely not meant to be edible LOL! Agreed, vitamins are probably the best route. Though sometimes they taste like dirt.

cherie said...

Wahahaha!! Fortunately I didn't crave weird foods during my pregnancies. I'll take the vitamins too.

There's this show on TLC about strange addictions, like eating plastic or bleach powder. Really bizarre and icky.

catwoods said...

My dog has puppy pica. She's addicted to socks like addicts are to crack.

Me, not so much, though I used to know a kid who ate dirt. Lots of it. Sand was his fave.

Richard said...

I saw a show--I think it's called My Strange Addiction--about a girl who eats chalk. My gosh, how can she do that?

Bethany C. said...

I've heard of this--though I didn't know what it was called. I've read articles on women who, during pregnancy, crave dirt, gasoline, even cigarette ashes. BLECH!!!

My iron tables may have some unappealing side effects but poo in your teeth is never a good look.

Suma Subramaniam said...

Vitamins . Healthy stuff Mindy:-)

Best,
Suma

Mindy McGinnis said...

I know guys, I know. It's one of the oddest things I've ever come across. I'm a bit of a medical nerd (on top of being just a regular nerd) and I love finding out about weird but true compulsions like this.

NF is stranger than F!