Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

Before you get your weekly dose of my brain, hit up AM Supinger's blog for a short story featuring... me as the main character. In cat form. Attacking zombies. With corn. No really.

Also, I'll be in the AgentQuery Connect chat room this evening. Our weekly chat is going to be an open Q&A with myself, so if you've got any lingering questions, drop in and ask!

I have a roving mind. I'm sure that's a shock to everyone. Through the course of each week I tend to accumulate random wonderings in my mind, most of which never evolve into anything other than a niggling question that's going to bother me until I 1) ask someone who knows or 2) go find the answer myself.

As you can imagine, it's been an insane ride for me the past week. I have no idea how to process the fact that I've finally accomplished my life goal. And I'm 32, so I decided I needed some new life goals. Obviously, I'm not going to say, "Hooray! I'm published! So now I'm done with that." Uh, no. The assumed continued life goal is to have a career in writing.

In other arenas, here are my thoughts:

1) I want to learn another language. Thoroughly. I used to speak passable French, but I believe it's all leaked out of me since college. I also learned Koine Greek as a Religion major, but again, I believe it may have left me. Koine Greek is very much a dead language, so I don't get to practice speaking it a lot, which is where mastery comes from. I still have my textbook though, so I see myself diving back into that. I also want to learn Gaelic (or "Irish" as Google Translate calls it). Yes, I'm totally devoted to learning more things that will probably never serve a useful purpose in my daily life.

2) Related to my urge to speak Gaelic; I want to trace my Irish ancestry back to the homeland. I've managed to track the slippery McGinnis line to about 1775, and we're still in America. Pennsylvania, to be precise. Apparently we got on that boat early (knee-slapper!). I've been dead-ended in PA for about three years and need to relaunch myself in the genealogy arena. My German line was pretty thoroughly researched before I even came along, and by that I mean thoroughly. Like 15th century thoroughly.

3) I mentioned this on AgentQuery, but I'm going to pick up playing piano again. I used to be decent. No prodigy, but better than your average stray animal. 

3 comments:

Riley Redgate said...

Not to be that guy, but the Irish language is called Irish because there are two other types of Gaelic - Scots-Gaelic and Manx-Gaelic. Or so says my dad, who's still fresh off the boat from auld Dublin :P

In other news, if you're as awesome at piano as the stray animals from The Aristocats (best Disney movie like, evar) then I'd say you're well on your way to stardom. :D

Marin said...

I'm working on those McGinnises too - going nowhere fast. Perhaps a trip to the homeland is in order? You could brush up on the Gaelic while you're there. ;)

Mindy McGinnis said...

Riley - you are so that guy . But since it's straight from the Irish horse's mouth, it's cool.

Marin - UGH! I know!! Slippery family!!