Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A BBCHAT with Tina Wexler of ICM

Today BBCHAT continues! Bigblackcat's Humane Agent Talk: In Which A Particularly Agreeable Agent Answers a Series of Questions that Have Nothing to do with Queries or Submission Guidelines. Yeah, don't try to make an acronym out of that last bit.

The BBCHAT is designed to get the personality of the agent in the spotlight, and an enterprising querier can use this information to figure out if the agent is a good fit for them, rather than just another agent who happens to cover their genre.

The last question involves something that oddly resembles a contest, and ties in with the blog name. Note the rules: to participate you need to follow the blog (so include your screenname in the email so that I can identify you), and your answer must come in an email to me, not a post in the comments section. First person to email me with the correct answer wins. You'll notice the "email me" link above my followers box to the right. Or maybe you won't notice it. In which case, you'll be totally flummoxed. The handy-dandy Contact link on the bar above is helpful too.

Tina Wexler is a literary agent at ICM, representing authors in both the children’s and adult marketplace.  On the children's side, she’s interested in young adult and middle grade fiction, with a particular fondness for psychological thrillers, retold myths and legends, and gothic love stories. Current and forthcoming titles include FLIP by Martyn Bedford, CROAK by Gina Damico, OLIVIA BEAN, TRIVIA QUEEN by Donna Gephart, and BREADCRUMBS by Anne Ursu. She lives in Brooklyn, NY with her husband and son.

Not only is Tina a powerhouse agent, she's also a super-awesome person who has volunteered to supply the lucky winner with A STACK of books. Yes, those are her words. A STACK of books. I think it's worth repeating: A STACK of books. Yeah, so my lovely lurkers - now is a good time to hit the Comment button (er, well, the email button).

BBC: What are you reading right now and why do you like it? 

TW: VIRTUOSITY by Jessica Martinez. I really like stories that grant me entry into a world previously unknown and unknowable to me, so this story about a brilliant violinist immediately pulled me in. I also love stories about teens who are the best at what they do, who feel the pressure to remain the best--and the lengths they will go to keep it that way. And I love love stories, the more complicated/conflicted the better, and this one starts the way the best often do—with insults and embarrassment!

BBC: Paper (books) or plastic (e-reader)? 
TW: Paper.

BBC: What's on your bucket list?
TW: [Blank stare. Fumbles for To Do list. Scribbles “Make bucket list.”]

BBC: Have you ever ridden a mechanical bull? 
TW: No, and just the thought makes me queasy. Also preemptively saying no to rollercoaster rides and revolving restaurants. (Why do these things need to exist?!)

BBC: What type of agent are you?
            a) Cheerleader
            b) Therapist
c) Bushwhacking Guide 
            d) Red Ink Saturation Committee Member

TW: e) All of the above, at various times throughout the day.

BBC: If you had a guaranteed sell, what type of story would you like to represent?

TW: Oooh, this is a tricky question. And I’m already starting to over-think it so let me go with my first response before I get too in-my-head about it: I would sell that heartbreaker that’s impossible to summarize in one sentence, the one that normally would be passed on for being “too quiet.” The one where not a lot happens, even though so much happens, where, when you finish reading it, you have to sit quietly for a bit because you need to get your bearings. Because we--as readers and as people--sometimes need more “quiet.”

BBC: Tell me three things about yourself, one of them being a LIE!  First person to email me with the correct guess as to the lie gets... something awesome. 

TW: 1) I’ve always wanted curly hair.
        2) I don’t like musicals.
        3) I went to Italy on my honeymoon.

3 comments:

Jean said...

Thanks, Tina for stopping by and chatting with the cat!

I love books that feel quiet but I end up thinking about for ages afterwards.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Jean - agreed. It's those quiet blow through reads that plants seeds in my brain. I want to know more about those characters.

OUR WINNER for the BBCHAT was Stephanie Diaz, who guessed correctly that Tina in fact *loves* musicals (although she admitted to me that she's never understood the appeal of Les Mis).

Your books are on the way, Steph! Thanks for reading! And a huge thanks to Tina for agreeing to the interview and supplying the prize!

Escape Artist said...

You mean I finally got the right answer and I wasn't first! Damn!
Congrats Steph! : )