Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I Challenge Myself To A Duel

I'm ambidextrous, so I can do that.

I usually don't get involved in reading challenges, as I find myself challenged to read everyday. But as I finished up the WIP on Jan 1, (why yes, yes I did), I think I'm going to involve myself in two particular challenges that spoke to me.


First, The Dusty Bookshelf Challenge. As a librarian I've got books with serious dust issues in my home, and they need read, dammit. I'm signing up at Cobweb Level (15 books) My titles for that challenge:

1) Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier (Sin announcement - I borrowed that book nine years ago)
2) Lord of the Last Days by Homero Aridjis - I bought this when it was published, uh... 1995.
3) SPOOK by Mary Roach - This one has only been setting around for a year, but I keep putting it off because I'm chicken.
4) Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes - My sister has been pestering me to read this for a decade.
5) BLONDE by Joyce Carol Oates - This was a college graduation present from my roommate - in 2001.
6 & 7) Thunderstruck and In The Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson - I've had both since publication, 2006 and 2011, respectively.
8) Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King - bought at publication in 2010
9) Antony & Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough - bought at publication in 2007
10) The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood - have had that one since... 2000
11) Case Closed by Gerald Posner - I'll say 2000 on that one too
12) A Whole New Mind by Daniel Pink - on Goodreads shelf since May 2011
13) The Shallows: What The Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr - Goodreads shelf since June 2011
14) The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - Goodreads shelf since March 2011
15) The Wall by John Hersey - thin I've had that one since about 2000

So yeah, that should make everyone feel a little better about themselves, as far as reading accomplishments.


My other challenge is going to be the 2012 Debut Author Challenge from The Story Siren. In that one your goal is to To read & review a minimum of twelve young adult or middle grade debut novels between the dates of January 1, 2012 – January 31, 2013. I'm pretty sure I can do that!

6 comments:

Tanya Reimer said...

Hey! That's a cool fun duel and quite the selection! I might find a few of those on my dusty shelves too!

I know I read Phantom of the Opera for a French book club about five years ago, and was curious to see how it read in English, so I read it in both languages one after the other. Then I watched the movie. It was a Phanton marathon.

L.H. Thomson said...

Loving the admission of the collection, which I have to think -- based on my own similar collection -- explains dust jackets.

Think about the absence of romance, though, in the unread book collection of the future .... which you'll never notice, because it will be stored on your reader. Sigh.

Sophia Chang said...

lol glad you signed up too - I like how you're doing the challenges that require you to read really old and really new books

Jessica said...

HA HA HA I love your guilty confession of borrowing a book nine years ago. Oh, that will give me a smile all day :D Thanks for joining my challenge!

Jessica @ Books: A true story

cherie said...

Good luck on both challenges! I have books sitting around gathering dust too, but I always go to the library and come home with new ones to read. Why do I do this? I don't know. For sure, the library books get read first because they have a due date, whereas the ones I owned...well, maybe I should put due dates on them, too. :)

Mindy McGinnis said...

Tanya - Yeah, I'm not nearly cool enough to claim that I can read a novel in another language.

L.H. - Hmm... yes. Our e-readers can protect the world from knowing our smut habits, can't they?

Sophia - Hooray! Oh, I couldn't resist :)

Jessica - Best part... it's my boss's book!!

Cherie - Well, libraries are a death trap, you know.