Monday, January 9, 2012

The Insomniac's Imagination

If you're anything like me, sometimes your brain won't turn off.

Some writers like this, and I freely admit that a 2AM brainstorm can be productive as hell. I'll take inspiration where I can find it, thanks. But there are those long nights when you have to hit the 40/wk bright and early and good old brain is like, "Check me out! Look at all the things I can do!" and it won't stop.

I've got a little soothing trick for what I call Imsomniac's Imagination. I write with other people's characters. I let that talkative brain chomp down on a character that's grabbed me from whatever I'm reading, or a favorite from a television series. It's great because the brain can run with it and I don't have to feel like I need to be responsible and jot something down before I forget it.

I'm not producing anything I can use as a writer, but I'm exercising my brain and giving it the freedom it wants in the dark hours. So try it next time you keep glancing at the clock and reminding yourself to go to sleep already.

5 comments:

Sarah Pearson said...

Maybe I should try that - my brain never wants to sleep at a time that would suit my timetable :-)

Kelsey said...

I'm jealous! I can't stay up until 2AM for the life of me.

Happy writing!

Kelsey

P.S. Thanks for your comment on the vlog. You put a smile on my face :)

Bethany C. said...

ha! Love this idea. My brain hamster rarely runs after 9 pm, (Yeah...I'm getting old) but one of those rare occasions his fat buns are running in the middle of the night, I'm going to try this.

Rin said...

I might be the oddity - I get more inspiration during mid-afternoon rather than at night (mostly because I love sleep.) Sometimes eureka moments happen in the mornings, too! With me, the problem is usually where I write, not when. Some places are just too distracting to scribble in.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Sarah - Oh, it so works. I can't tell you how often I've floated off to dreamland on a line of dialogue I don't have to worry about trying to remember.

Kelsey - :) Glad you liked it.

Bethany - My hamster tends to do most of his spinning during the night. The daytime, unfortunately, is given over to reality.

Rin - Eureka moments are beautiful at all times, right?

Thanks everyone for stopping by and commenting!