Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

A couple quick announcements before the Thursday Thoughts. My fellow AgentQuery Connect member Robb Grindstaff has had some success lately that I want to share. Horror Bound magazine has named his short story, 'Desert Rain,' in their 'Best of Horror Bound: 2008-2011' edition. In fact, it's #2 in their top 10 stories they've published in the four years of the magazine's existence, chosen by readers and the editors.

And in BBCLand: I've been invited to join the Lucky13's, a group of YA and MG authors who debut in 2013. Drop in to our group blog and check out my fellow Lucky13er's!

Thoughts lately:

1) I got an iPad for Christmas (thanks, boyfriend). I adore it, but I can't help but wonder why there are virtual finger nubby placements on the F and J?

2) I like watching suspense / mystery films, but someday I'd love to see one with a really complicated plot that doesn't do the end reveal using:
     a) the Big Bad Baddy delivers the starndard My Evil Master Plan & How It Worked Speech right before he dispatches someone
     b) a series of mini-flashbacks with a voiceover to remind the viewer of what happened in the past hour or so or
     c) a character muttering key words aloud to themselves (usually in front of the Big Bad Baddy as they are in the process of figuring out s/he is in fact the BBB) to clue the viewer into their stream of consciousness while putting the pieces together.

3) I miss the '90s. They were pretty awesome. We had ER, The X-Files, grunge music, and one of the best Saturday Night Live casts since the show's inception. Also, style demanded you walk around looking unkempt and slightly bitter, which really suited me.

5 comments:

Kathryn Elliott said...

Oh, how I miss the X-Files. I hear unkempt is back on the rise - fingers crossed!

illustrationjunky said...

Wow congrats to Robb, I'll be sure to check his short story out and your other new blog adventure.

Unkempt suits me too since (initiate face palm) it's past 4 and I am still in my Pajammajams! :P

Jennifer Troemner said...

Don't forget Batman: The Animated Series and Gargoyles. Those shows were absolutely amazing.

Jemi Fraser said...

I hadn't heard about Robb - that's awesome!!! :)

I STILL haven't even seen an iPad in real life - sometimes I feel like I live in the middle of nowhere... :)

Mindy McGinnis said...

Kathryn, ij - Dude, if unkempt can make it back in, there's hope. I subsist on hope.

Jenn - you know, I didn't watch those, but they *sound* great :)

Jemi - I know! So happy!