Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

My random thoughts this week run thus:

1) I just realized that the tune for the "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep" prayer and "Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Mo" are the same. Now, that's funny.

2) I didn't enjoy fashion in the '80s the first time around. I've mentioned multiple times that I want grunge back, but after watching Dotown Abbey for the first time this week (yes, I realize I'm behind), I've decided that instead I'd like early 1900's clothes to come back. And I also want someone to dress me and do my hair everyday. Thanks, that'd be great.

3) And speaking of Dotown Abbey (SEASON ONE SPOILERS AHEAD), I think that Lady Mary's virginity-losing sex that killed the Turkish envoy was the best abstinence advertisement I've ever seen. That's right kids - you CAN get pregnant the first time you have sex, you CAN get an STD the first time, and it is likely that your lover will DIE on top of you!

7 comments:

Lindsay N. Currie said...

I've heard SO many good things about Downtown Abbey. No kidding, I need to watch that. And yes, I agree with you. The clothes, while probably a nuisance to people in reality, seem wonderful:)

Marin McGinnis said...

Downton Abbey is awesome, only partly because of the clothes. I am totally addicted.

Kelsey said...

Haha. Loved "your lover will DIE on top of you". How traumatic must that have been?!

Bethany C. said...

I hate it when my lovers die on top of me.

April Tucholke said...

I loved that the dead Turkish lover incident happened to Mary--she's so reserved, so aristocratic, so proud. A great move, plot-wise.

Suzi said...

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the ABC Song (at least how we sing it) has the same tune too. At least they are both kids songs though.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Lindsay, Marin - Ooooh, I don't know how I could've possibly NOT heard about DA until now? Ugh. And you know what alerted me to it's presence? Twitter. Thank you Twitter, thank you for letting me know there's EXCELLENT forms of entertainment on free TV.

Kelsey, Bethany, April - I was totally thinking Lady Mary was just totally lost about the whole, "roll over and die" post coitus thing. But then I'm like, "Oh man, dude's really dead!!"

Suzi - YES!!! I knew there was another set of children's songs that had the same tune but I couldn't remember what it was!!