Monday, March 5, 2012

Lazy Days

Before you get to my post, I'm up over at Book Pregnant today, talking about ugly babies.

Awhile ago I talked about making shit happen. I’m still a big fan of that, but I’m also the occasional fan of not doing jack shit.

And I think we need those days, as writers and as people.

One of the most commonly quoted pieces of writing advice that I strongly disagree with is write every day.

I don’t write every day. I try to approach writing as a real job, and that means you get the weekends off. It also means that every now and then you’re really sick of it and kind of feel like you’d rather stab yourself in the face than go to work.

And you know what? That’s OK.

Yesterday was one of those days for me. Even if I’m not going to write I try to find something that will take me a little closer to the goals I’ve set for myself. This week is supposed to be the genesis of my first vlog.

So I decided I needed to do some vlogging attempts. Which meant doing my hair. And I really didn’t want to do my hair. So I didn’t.

Then I thought I should probably write up the review of the book I finished yesterday. But I didn’t feel like doing that either. So I didn’t.

Instead I figured I’d go ahead and jump into the new ARC that I want to read and review. But I was kind of sleepy. So I didn’t.

I took a nap. And I liked it.

I woke up kind of sweaty and smelly, totally disoriented and with my hair wrapped around my neck like a noose. It was a great nap. The kind where you have no idea where you are when you wake up. I needed that nap, and I don’t feel bad about taking it.

So what if it means I’ve got more goals for today?

Today I feel like making shit happen.

8 comments:

Tyson said...

I don't believe in 'write everyday' either for a few simple reasons.
1. We need breaks.
Being creative can be a daunting task. No matter what, it zaps us of our energy. And we need time to reboot.
2. Sometimes it just isn't working.
Forcing yourself to do something when you're churning out shite is pointless, and defeating. It's better to take a step back and put your mind elsewhere.
3. The importance of distractions.
We need other things in our lives to spark the match of creativity. Whether that be the gym, a walk, bathing the hound, or simply napping. We need these little hiccups in our daily routine for no other reason than to shake things up a bit.

Or, so I see it.

Good post!

Sarah said...

Like you, I don't like the "write every day" admonition. Sometimes I'm not actively writing--I'm reading or revising or outlining or daydreaming. Some days, I just work at my day job and have no mental energy left for writing. And yes, we need breaks. In general, I'm against prescriptive writing advice. I think everyone should do what works for them--including taking naps :)

Jaye Robin Brown said...

You need to know your body's rhythm's and needs - jack shit days are super important and naps even more so in my book! (Baths too!)

Kathryn Elliott said...

Yep - having a stab myself in the face kind of day myself. We all need them, we all deserve them, and I for one enjoy them!

Tara Dairman said...

"One of the most commonly quoted pieces of writing advice that I strongly disagree with is write every day."

I couldn't be more with you on this! Write every day doesn't work for me for a multitude of reasons. Give me a deadline and I'll write 10 hours a day to meet it, but then please give me a week off. =)

Mindy McGinnis said...

Tyson - couldn't agree more about needing that spark. It's hard to find inspiration setting in front of your laptop and bemoaning how badly you suck.

Sarah - Yes. I definitely try to find things that "further" me w/out it necessarily adding to the word count on the WIP. Editing, blogging, even reading all count towards making my brain be productive.

Jaye - Well... I could probably do with more bathing.

Kathryn - It took a lot for me to get to the point of enjoying them w/out guilt. I'm doing better :)

Tara - Absolutely! I definitely work in spurts. Sometimes that brainwave is at 3 AM and I'm hacking away. 3 PM occasionally finds me curled up and comatose.

A.M.Supinger said...

Hahaha...you're awesome. Great post!

Rather be stabbed in face than write? A hair noose? A fabulous nap? Yeeeeeah, I've had days like that before. Now I want another one ;)

Mindy McGinnis said...

A.M. - Tell me. As this weekend rapidly approaches I'm thinking that I might need... pizza. And a nap.