Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Talk: Non-Fiction Friday

I've been hitting the non-fiction rather hard lately. I'm editing right now and I find it all too easy to let the voice of other fiction writer's that I'm reading slip into my brain, and sometimes override my own voice. I know, you're thinking - who's louder than you?

In any case, I've got some more non-fiction recommendations for you. They're not beach reads, but for those of you who desire a little something to pique the gray matter into churning a little more than usual, I've got you covered.

INSIDE SCIENTOLOGY by Janet Reitman offers an in-depth and even-handed look at Scientology. Reitman begins with a biography of L. Ron Hubbard, traces the origins of Scientology in connection with the Dianetics movement and follows Scientology into the present day, including it's outreach and public relations efforts. Her journalistic writing is meticulous and compelling, with enough voice to keep you reading when the facts are flowing.

LAST CALL AT THE OASIS by Karl Weber - released in tandem with the documentary of the same name, this book considers the pending global freshwater crisis. Less than 1% of the world's water is fresh, and once it's gone... well, let's just say we'll miss it. A lot. Educate yourself about the shortage and the possible solutions to the crisis. OASIS  is also available right now as a giveaway on Goodreads.

No comments: