Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

This week I'm focused on phrases that don't make any sense, and how we should start a cultural revolution to change that.

1) People are always saying that they're "trying to lose weight." But it's really hard, believe me I know. I think that's because it's the only thing we actually try to lose. No one ever says they wish they could shed ten more sets of car keys. Maybe we if we condition our brains that losing is a positive thing, it would be easier to skim the fat off.

2) Regardless of where you live, people use the phrase "out of town" to ask if you're not going to be home for a period of time. But I live in the country. So when people ask me if I'm going to be "out of town," I always say, "Yes." I am in a perpetual state of being out of town.

3) The phrase, "I could care less," actually indicates that you do care a little bit. Technically, if you really, really don't give a crap you "couldn't care less."


6 comments:

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hi Mindy!
How's life in Ohio? I swear that one of these days when I'm on my way to visit the kids in Columbus I'm going to stop at your library!

I think you've just scratched the surface with phrases that make no sense. I always say "couldn't care less" and it's one of my pet peeves when people say "could". (I have so many!) "How ya doin?" "What's going on?" blah blah blah

Have a great day!

Anna said...

I look forward to Thursday Thoughts!

Jemi Fraser said...

I despise hearing "I could care less" - along with "could of" or "should of" instead of "should have" *grrrr*

A.M.Supinger said...

I think you're SO RIGHT about #1

...the only thing other than weight I can imagine people wanting to lose is the horrible from their last Christmas, LOL!

Tracy Bermeo (A2Z Mommy) said...

Totally with you on #3. People only talk about the things they care about .

Mindy McGinnis said...

I'm so glad people actually *like* Thursday Thoughts... the poor b/f hears Thursday Thoughts throughout the week, poor man. And you guys get the edited down, best three of the week, so you can just imagine what Mondays are like...