Monday, September 10, 2012

What Did You Call Me?

Horror.

As a YA librarian you've gotta be careful how you say that word. Also you must enunciate when recommending SHIP BREAKER by Pablo Bacigalupi.

A couple of weeks ago in a guest post on Chasing the Crazies, I shared my non-psychic librarian abilities and said that I thought Sci-Fi might be the next big thing happening in YA. I've had some time to think about it since then, and I believe that there might be another fish in the sea who has the capability of reaching Leviathan proportions in the near future.

Yeah, it's horror. Books like Kendare Blake's ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD are starting to reclaim shelf space in the stores. I think ghosts might be getting the upper hand back over the beasties. And I'm totally ready for that. A good ghost story, be it a slow-paced nail biter or a cringe-inducing gore splurge is always something I'm up for.

What about you? Are you ready for some good old-fashioned ghost stories?


6 comments:

Liesl Shurtliff said...

My favorite book as a child was the ghost story WAIT TILL HELEN COMES by Mary Downing Hahn. I checked it out of the library all the time. LOVE ghost stories!

Mindy McGinnis said...

Liesl - It won't surprise you then to know that HELEN is still in print, I got a copy with a fresh bold cover for our library just last year.

mary said...

Horror. As a YA librarian you've gotta be careful how you say that word. Also you must enunciate when recommending SHIP BREAKER by Pablo Bacigalupi.

Ha- LOVE this!

Mindy McGinnis said...

And it's SO TRUE. I can't tell you how many kids love to come in and say, "Why, I need that SHIP BREAKER book," just as fast as they can.

catwoodsblog.com said...

I LOVE ghost stories. They were some of my faves as a kid.

Lucky for me, I have a ghost story on my hard drive begging to get out. Maybe it's time to release it!

As an FYI, I love me a good horror story, too!

Mindy McGinnis said...

Cat - you're a cat of many colors :)