Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thursday Thoughts

Thoughts lately -

1) When I was little I used to think that the world ended when we ran out of space to bury people. Think about it - there's a lot of people and only so much soil. Surely there's a formula to mathematically figure out when the entire earth will be tombstones. And yes, I'm aware you can be cremated. But you can also be composted, if you live in Scandinavia. Yep.

2) But you can't be buried on your own property, that's illegal because of water tables and such. Gone are the good old days of being hauled out to the family plot. This is odd to me. It's my body, but I don't get to say where I want it to go when I'm done with it. I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to do the thing where you are stuck up on a plank in a tree and the birdies get you. Will check on that.

3) It makes me think about placentas. You don't get to keep yours. Yep - that's right. You grew it inside of yourself, you expelled it out of your vagina but it does not belong to you. Because there's a .0000001 chance I might take it home and do stem cell experiments.

7 comments:

brighton said...

A) I'm a slacker and this post has reminded me I still haven't bogged the brilliant post I am going to create out of some awesome screenshots I have.
B) I'm so glad to finally hear of someone else who worried as a child about there not being enough space to bury people! I was genuinely concerned about the future of the planet, a grade school teacher I had was kind of disturbed by my out of nowhere saying that we should start stacking multiple people into the same graves (I had just gone to my first ever funeral that same week) .
C) If you're murdered by someone you live with you might get to be buried in your back yard. Or eaten by birds.
D) So not even touching on your 3rd topic.

Richard said...

When I was a kid, I used to think they looked for open spaces to put houses on. I was shocked to learn they just cut down all the trees and put up houses.

There's no money to be made from burying people on their own land.

My daughter had one of her placentas frozen for the day, if it ever comes, when they figure out how to cure juvenile diabetes, which she had at age 10. I guess that's something to do with stemcell research. I say: keep researching.

dcamardo said...

You can definitely keep your placenta.

I'm being cremated and scattered across the globe to make it as difficult as possible on the angels come judgement day.

Leigh Teale said...

This was an awesome read. Of course, I'm not going to be buried at all. I'm on the list for my body to go to the forensics farm after a little organ harvesting. I figure my body is better off helping people than it is burned or buried in the ground.

DanaE said...

That's a good argument for home births.

And I guess we could bury people vertically. That would save some space.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Heh Heh - I love that out of all the helpful, informative things I do with this blog, Thursday Thoughts is the thing that gets the most traffic ;)

And Brighton - clearly you and I are the same person, in different gendered bodies, born a decade and change apart. Clearly.

Gebelik said...

Now i apperceive i access to blemish added time acquirements to compassionate it more. Accepting for the able information, I was analytic for this this week.
Gebelik