Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thursday Thoughts & PAPfest Update!

Before you jump into your weekly dose of random crap from my head, check out my recent post over at Book Pregnant, where I give revision tips and tell you how to get the crap out of your book. It's actually a useful post, and Thursday Thoughts, while entertaining... may not be, you know, useful.

AND a quick PAPfest update. The PAP Team of myself, RC Lewis and MarcyKate Connolly, decided to be far to the West Coasters that the second submission window should open at a different time than the first, so that people don't have to crawl out of bed in the morning to send an email. I don't like to crawl out of bed in the morning for anything at all, so I totally get it.

NEW submission window times ARE:

There will be two windows for you to send your entry to PAPfest(at)gmail(dot)com 
The first window will open Wednesday, Jan 23 at 8 AM EST 
The second window will open Friday, Jan 25 at 6 PM EST
Each window will allow 50 email entries

Thoughts lately...

1) I recently joined Tumblr. I like it. I have fun there. But I don't understand it. It seems like the vast majority of the content is re-tumbled. When I put something original out there, it just kind of sits. When I reblog someone else's something awesome, I'm rewarded with re-blogging and new followers.

2) Now I'm a trained rat as much as the next guy, so I learned pretty quick that pushing the Tumblr recycle button gave me kibble faster than putting effort into it. But how is this the case? MINDY!?!? You pushed a button on something you didn't create that was lifted off of someone else's blog!! I love you for that!! I'm going to follow you!!! (??)

3) Gifs are really big over on Tumblr. And yes, I admit to looking at them fairly often. But when I'm looking I'm thinking - "Wow, this is a movie without sound lifted off a movie that already exists with sound... isn't that technically a step backward?"

2 comments:

Lynn said...

The Tumblr-verse is a fascinating, interesting world to be a part of. You're right that posting original content usually doesn't get that much attention. But if I draw a hasty sketch of whatever happens to be popular in the wide world of internet fandom... glorious glorious reblogs.

Mindy McGinnis said...

I think Tumblr is pretty awesome for illustrators and people who are visual performers. Someone like me just does a lot of RT'ing ;)