Thursday, February 14, 2013

PAPfest Entry - THE PLACE WITHOUT NAMES

TITLE: THE PLACE WITHOUT NAMES

GENRE: YA Science Fiction

WORD COUNT: 70,000

QUERY:

Charlotte Turner is trapped. There’s a meteor headed straight for Earth, and Char is stuck in juvy, a place that didn’t suck nearly so much before all the crashing and burning was on its way.

If she had one last wish, other than not dying in a fiery bang, it would be to apologize to her highly talented family, including her younger brother West, a budding botanist. It’s a shame, really, that Char’s main talents seem to be breaking and entering. But hey, a girl needs a hobby, and they say you should love what you do.

Char and West might have been close once, but despite her pleas of innocence, her latest conviction is the last straw, and now the whole family is ready to walk away from her forever. If she ever wants to see West again, she’ll have to escape from prison and steal a spot on an Ark, a spaceship bound for a new planet.

Char will need all her tricks of the trade to swindle her way to the stars, and even then, it might not be enough. Only one other person in juvy has skills to match hers: Isaiah, also known as the Mole, but he’s too blind to be accepted onto an Ark, and too jaded to care.

Almost.

Together, they set out in search of new beginnings on Earth’s final day.

The Place Without Names received a Work in Progress Grant from the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. It is complete at 70,000 words. I have a degree in French literature, and I am grateful for your consideration.

FIRST 200 WORDS:

On the last day of Earth, I couldn’t find my hairbrush. That probably seems like a silly thing to worry about, what with the imminent destruction of, well, everything, but my mom was always after me about my usual ratty ponytail. Normally, I’d ignore her. Or, if I were having a really bad day, I’d tell her what she could do with her hairbrush. But like I said, it was the last day of Earth. And I figured, since it was the last time she’d ever see me, I wanted it to go smoothly. I wanted her to remember me, if not fondly, then at least without anger.

A girl can dream.

I slipped out of my cell as soon as the door swung open. I’d done the same every day for the past month, and my family had yet to show up. Their OPT– Off-Planet Transport– took off in eighteen hours, so they still had time. Barely. I couldn’t blame them if they didn’t come. It wasn’t hard to imagine that they’d rather escape to the stars without so much as a backward glance at me, their big disappointment. Even my father’s influence couldn’t persuade the government to give me a spot on an OPT.

Turns out, when humankind is deciding which of its children to save, the last place it looks is in prison.

3 comments:

Rantatron said...

Love it! Could you please send the first 50 pages and a copy of the query letter to adriann@wolflit.com, with "PAPfest" somewhere in the subject?

Thanks!

Adriann Ranta
Wolf Literary Services

Suzie Townsend said...

This sounds fabulous--I'd love to see more! Please email the full manuscript as a word document with your query pasted into the first page to suzie@newleafliterary.com. Put REQUESTED MATERIAL in the subject line.

Laura said...

Love this one! Please email the full ms + a synopsis to laura@bradfordlit.com. Put PAPfest somewhere in the subject line. I am REALLY looking forward to reading more!

Laura Bradford
Bradford Literary Agency