Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wednesday WOLF

I've got a collection of random information in my brain that makes me an awesome Trivial Pursuit partner, but is completely useless when it comes to real world application. Like say, job applications. I thought I'd share some of this random crap with you in the form of another acronym-ific series. I give you - Word Origins from Left Field - that's right, the WOLF (oh, how clever is she? She made an acronym out of her agency's name!) Er... ignore the fact that the "from" doesn't fit.

I love oxymorons. No, not stupid people who need to have stains removed from their clothing.

You probably know what an oxymoron is, but in case you don't I'll supply you with a definition and a few examples. An oxymoron is a combination of what appear to be contradictory terms. Here are some fun ones:

Civil War
Act Naturally
Only Choice
Awful Pretty

But what does oxymoron mean? It's from the Greek "sharp fool," or "sharp dull."

My favorite oxymoron?

Good morning.


2 comments:

mfantaliswrites said...

When I was in college, I worked with a friend on his one-act play. My favorite exchange(obviously, since I still remember it) was:

Him (in response to something she said): That's an oxymoron.

Her: Yeah? Well, you're a deoxy-asshole!

Mindy McGinnis said...

*takes note*

That's beautiful.