Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wild Wednesday - WTF IS THAT!?!?

Yes, I know everyone wanted their weekly micro-dose of the history of the English language in the form of my Wednesday WOLF (Word Origins from Left Field), but I'm actually out of random bits of facts at the moment. Until I pick up another etymology book - don't worry there's one on the TBR pile right now - I'm shifting Wednesdays to Wild Wednesday.

And here's why -

In the desolate world of NOT A DROP TO DRINK the wildlife have regained the upper hand. Coyotes roam during the day and raccoons stand up for a better look at passing humans, not familiar enough with these odd bipeds to be afraid.

My own little desolate corner of Ohio isn't so very unlike DRINK. I wake up regularly in the night to coyotes raucously celebrating another kill and deer stop to stare whenever I walk outside to load the stove. I've popped the lid off the plastic cat food container more than once to find a possum inside. And boy is that ever awesome. I love it every time.

So anyway, I have two trailcams set up in the field behind my house, and I thought I'd share bits and pieces of the humorous, the odd, and the sometimes downright frightening things that pass by in the middle of nowhere...

This is one that I stared at for awhile, trying to figure out WTF it was.



10 comments:

T.J. said...

pheasant? lol

Trisha Leaver said...

Hawk maybe? Too graceful and way too small to be a turkey vulture.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Sigh - you guys are killing me. You're so smart. It's just a crow, coming in for a landing. You can see his beak on the left side, up toward the top. But, if you focus instead on the top of the amorphous blob, looking for some kind of identifiable features, it looks like some kind of boiling alien substance dropping from the sky. I won't tell you how long I believed that. Ahem.

Rena said...

Well, I was going to say la chupacabra, but if it's just a crow...

Mindy McGinnis said...

It *could* be la chupacabra. And I sense a fellow X-Phile...

Carmen said...

I'm not buying the crow thing. I think you need to bring in a bird expert...

You could always ask your cats; they know everything!

Daphne said...

I'm going with disembodied ostrich head.

Tracy Bermeo (A2Z Mommy) said...

I'm going to go with hawk. It looks a little light to be a crow, but of course, I wasn't there. Instead, I was here, in NJ, where it won't stop snowing. And to that, I ask: W.T.F?!

mfantaliswrites said...

I was also going to guess "pheasant" but I'm a little late to the party.

You know that I for one will be very sad not to have Word Origin Wednesday. :(

Mindy McGinnis said...

I asked Mr. Nature boyfriend and he says it's a crow. A really big one, but a crow nonetheless. And don't worry Mfant, the WOLF will be back as soon as I read my current non-fic pick!