Friday, April 12, 2013

Book Talk: RUMP by Liesl Shurtliff

My book talks are coming at you from a librarian, not a reviewer. You won't find me talking about style or craft, why I think this could've been better or what worked or didn't work. I only do book talks on books I liked and want other people to know about. So if it's here I probably think it won't injure your brain if you read it.

In a world where your name is your destiny, 12 year-old RUMP is the butt of everyone's jokes. His mother died giving birth to him, and only said the first syllable of his full name (Rumpelstiltskin) before inconveniently dying. The message trolls ran through The Village shouting the news - A rump had been born! And it's only gone downhill since then.

Since that inauspicious beginning, Rump's life has been unremarkable... until he finds a spinning wheel and discovers a magical talent that he must have inherited from his doomed mother. His best (and only) friend Red Riding Hood tries to warn him that magic is dangerous, but gold buys food, and with a sick grandmother to feed, Rump doesn't think he has a choice.

Besides... how could gold be bad?

With each wisp of straw he touches spinning into gold, Rump is weaving himself deeper into a curse that can only be broken be learning his true name, finding his mother's family, and outsmarting the royals - a tall order for a boy who stopped growing a long time ago!

3 comments:

Robin said...

I second the won't injure your brain if your read it statement.RUMP is a retelling I enjoyed getting lost in.

Kate said...

I've heard great things about this book. I'm excited to pick it up myself.

Mindy McGinnis said...

It's hilarious! I'm reading it for the second time this weekend. I loved it so much the first time (ARC) that I wanted to get another dose.