Friday, May 10, 2013

Book Talk - MAID OF SECRETS by Jennifer McGowan

My book talks are coming at you from a librarian, not a reviewer. You won't find me talking about style or craft, why I think this could've been better or what worked or didn't work. I only do book talks on books I liked and want other people to know about. So if it's here I probably think it won't injure your brain if you read it.

Meg Fellowes is an extraordinarily gifted actress, able to memorize large chunks of narrative and repeat it back with astonishing accuracy. The only thing holding her back from an amazing career is the fact that women aren't allowed on the stage in Elizabethean England. Instead, Meg becomes her acting troupe's thief, working the crowd during their performances and lifting anything she can in order to supplement the troupe's income.

But fate has her picking the pocket of a court official, and she's hauled in front of Queen Elizabeth's spymaster with an offer - come work for them, or see her troupe destroyed. Meg is plunged headlong into court intrigue, all while trying to keep up with her lessons on how a lady should behave. Her fellow spies - the genius, the psychic, the assassin, and the flirt - aren't all overjoyed at their new companion, and she soon learns that she's not a new addition to the group... she's a replacement.

The girl before her was murdered after becoming too involved with the Spanish contingent at court. And while Meg can repeat verbatim anything the dashing Count Rafe says while she follows him through the dark corridors, she doesn't speak Spanish, and doesn't know if the translation she receives is true or not. The people Rafe meets seem shady, but her heart is starting to take precedence over her ears, and Meg isn't so sure she wants to know the truth anymore.

6 comments:

Jennifer McGowan said...

Mindy, thanks for hosting me today!! I think your summary is bang on. I just read it and thought "wow, that sounds pretty cool." :) It's funny how it doesn't even seem like my book any more--especially since my head is deep into book 2, Maid of Deception!

If anyone has any questions about, well, anything, ask on! And Mindy, thank you again!!

Mindy McGinnis said...

No problem Jenn! I LOVED your book. I'm so thrilled that you liked my little blurby :)

Nicole McInnes said...

Oh boy, MAID OF SECRETS sounds soooo good. Can't wait to read it. Great Book Talk, Mindy!

Jennifer McGowan said...

So Mindy, since I'm just hanging out taking up space on your couch, I have a question for YOU:

When do you find time to write???

Mindy McGinnis said...

My secret is that I'm totally manic and am pretty much going 24/7 I think I counted it up and I only slept about 24 hours this week - total. So yes, my secret is that I'm completely unhealthy. ;)

Jennifer McGowan said...

Eeep! you need to get sleep eventually! or Book 2 will be "Not to Sleep a Wink" ;)

Thank you again for hosting me, and for reading Maid of Secrets!! Which is not, nor ever shall me, Maid of Secrest, despite my desire to mistype it. :)