Friday, May 31, 2013

Book Talk: THE S-WORD by Chelsea Pitcher

My book talks are coming at you from a librarian, not a reviewer. You won't find me talking about style or craft, why I think this could've been better or what worked or didn't work. I only do book talks on books I liked and want other people to know about. So if it's here I probably think it won't injure your brain if you read it.

The week after Lizzie kills herself, the words SUICIDE SLUT parade across her locker - in her own handwriting. Lizzie was the virgin queen of Verity High, the sweet, gorgeous girl with a flawless reputation - until she was caught in bed with her best friend's boyfriend on prom night. It started with a carefully placed word - SLUT - on her locker, and escalated until Lizzie couldn't take it anymore, leaving her best friend Angie to pick up the pieces of what was left behind.

Pieces of Lizzie's secret diary are starting to show up in people's lockers. Everyone is receiving pages relevant to them, and the role they played in Lizzie's life - and death. Angie tries to recover the pages, hoping to put together what - or who - finally drove Lizzie to make a decision that couldn't be undone. But Angie is finding out that everyone has their secrets, and Lizzie's might have been the biggest. To make things worse, if all the pieces are pointing where she thinks they are, Angie will have to face her own complicity in the events that pushed Lizzie over the edge.

2 comments:

Pili said...

I really loved this book. I'm not usually very keen on contemporary YA, cause the same old high school issues have no appeal for me, but I really liked this one.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Agreed, Pili. I thought S-WORD was very original!