Friday, May 17, 2013

Non-Fiction Friday: THE DIET DROPOUT'S GUIDE TO NATURAL WEIGHT LOSS by Stan Spencer, PhD.

When you're finished with the Book Talk for this week be sure to head over to the Friday the Thirteeners blog for my newest vlog about how much I am (or am not) like my main character in NOT A DROP TO DRINK.

I've been liberally dosing you on Fridays with a non-fiction book talk here and there, and today I'm going even further out of the normal routine by talking to you about something I never really envisioned myself using my blog space for  - a diet book.

Yes, really.

If you're anything like me, you're thrilled that summer is so close, while at the same time totally pissed off about it because you don't look quite as awesome in your bikini as you did when you were sixteen. I'm not a fan of dieting. I try to eat somewhat sensibly and I get on the treadmill three times a week, but I'm still not-quite beach ready (not that I live near any beaches, but you get the idea).

I received THE DIET DROPOUT'S GUIDE TO NATURAL WEIGHT LOSS as a free e-book, thinking, what the hell, I'll read this and see. And for once in my life I was reading a diet book that made sense to me - mostly because this is not a diet book.

What I like about this book is not so much that it talks about food (although it does come up) but more about how for most of us eating is usually not in response to hunger. We eat because we're bored, we eat as an emotional response to our environment, and we even eat because the TV tells us to. I thought one of the coolest parts of this book were some great mental exercises to help you beat a craving, or even build up long-term abilities to stop yourself from eating emotionally.

For example, if you really want a cheeseburger, picture the most attractive cheeseburger you can think of - in the middle of the sidewalk surrounded by dirty stepped-on wads of chewing gum. This will make you want a cheeseburger a lot less than the image of a hot slab of meat with melted cheese running over it that your brain is craving.

Another aspect of this book that I thought was interesting was a section about changing your environment to lessen your ability to satisfy those cravings. This goes beyond the "no duh" moves of not keeping potato chips and pop in your kitchen, but also making signs or keeping a chart of exactly how much exercise you'd have to do in order to burn off that bag of chips or that can of Coke - consider it a profit and loss sheet for your body.

Lastly, there was the "natural" aspect of the book, which talks about how processed food is bad for us in so many ways (something I already knew, and you probably do too) but it also has some great recipes for snacks and meals that are quick and easy, and even a few little mental tactics to make eating vegetables seem more appealing.

Like I said, I never really thought I'd be taking up blog space to talk about a weight-loss book, but this one made a lot of sense to me and I'm super critical - so I thought I'd share. I'm glad to pass the love around if we can all meet in our bikinis and feel confident someday.

2 comments:

Bonnie R said...

I love the mental image of a dirty cheeseburger! hahaha Keeping track of how many calories I eat and how much I would have to workout just to burn it off has helped me immensely. This sounds like a really interesting book, will definitely have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

Mindy McGinnis said...

No problem Bonnie - there are also a handful of quick and easy recipes in the back for making yourself some all natural meals and snacks. It's pretty cool.

I also started counting calories and CRAP it's nuts how many calories are in some stuff. Geez o Pete. All the stuff I like, naturally.