Monday, October 21, 2013

5 Words I Use To Look Smart, Then Mispronounce and Instead Look Stupid

It happens to the best of us. We like the big words, and we throw them out there just to seem all awesome and then we're corrected and instead look like big fat vocabulary-posers. Here's a quick list with pronunciation guide so that you don't look like an ass.

1) Behemoth - It's not just big, it's really, really big. So it's be-HEE-mith

2) Anathema - As in, I really, really hate you. Big time. a-NATH-eh-ma (NATH like "math")

3) Simpatico - As in, I really, really like you. We think the same. sim-PAT-eh-ko

4) Allegory - As in, that's really, really not what the story is about. You'd think in my college education as a religion major I'd be able to use this one about symbolism in literature correctly. Just so you know it's AL-a-gory

5) Tepid - It's not hot, it's not cold. It's really room temperature. Also doesn't sound anything like a Native American lodging. T-EH-pid

6 comments:

Bethany Crandell said...

Your definitions are killing me.

Mindy McGinnis said...

I have many, many uses. All of them really, really useful.

mfantaliswrites said...

"Anathema" always makes me think of priests and cardinals in some big medieval set piece, excommunicating somebody bell, book and candle. Bang. Lights out. Condemned to eternal damnation and such. :)

Mindy McGinnis said...

Mfant - it's even worse if you pronounce it wrong.

Suzi said...

So happy that I knew how to pronounce all of those words. But don't worry, there's others I have trouble with. Sometimes even when you know it, they still come out wrong. :(

Debra McKellan said...

LOL You're so silly.