ASYLUM ON THE HILL: HISTORY OF A HEALING LANDSCAPE by Katherine Ziff explores the past of a piece of Ohio history - the Athens Insane Asylum, popularly called the Ridges. Built during a revolutionary period in the treatment of the insane, the Kirkbride architecture was designed with the health of the patients in mind. Beautiful views, no fences, and zero locks on doors made the patients feel more like people and less like prisoners.
The moral treatment at the heyday of the asylum focused on exercise, independence, and duties such as gardening, baking, sewing and other activities in order to give the patients a sense of purpose. As their productivity increased, the asylum was able to produce most of their own food, and make their own clothes, even selling excess in the town below.
But as patient intake increased and loss of funds meant less staff, living conditions began to decline. In the 1900's the courts ruled that the patients should not be performing jobs without pay, and without the the funds to pay the patients for their work they sat, bored and listless, mentally declining.
The asylum officially closed its doors in 1993. The site and buildings are now owned by Ohio University. The administration building now houses an art museum, and many of the structures have been renovated for office space.