Monday, December 9, 2013

The Futility of The Reader

I did it again.

I bought some books.


Yes, this is a beautiful picture. Yes, I'm stimulating the economy and helping fellow authors. Yes, I'll probably end up putting these in my library when I'm done with them and thus enabling literacy for others. Yes. Yes. Yes. These are all good things.

But look at this:


That's my nightstand... before I added the four new babies I adopted. I think there are roughly 35-40 books on there. And this isn't taking into account my e-reader, I'll remind you.

Now, I want you to look at this:

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Mindy has
read 69 books toward a goal of 80 books.
hide



Yeah. I ALREADY read about 70 books this year and my night stand STILL looks like that and I CONTINUE to buy books.

This is the futility of the reader. We will never read all the books. There isn't enough time.

And I love having this problem.

8 comments:

R.C. Lewis said...

I feel your (non-)pain. :) My goal this year was to read 50 books, which I think I'll manage, just barely. Since I know next year's going to be busy, I'm thinking of cutting my 2014 goal down to 35-40.

If I stopped buying books RIGHT NOW, I'd have enough in my TBR pile to fulfill my 2014 reading goal already.

But I know a ton of people releasing books in 2014 I want to read … so, that's not going to happen.

Kel said...

This is why I put the books I buy on the overflowing bookshelf instead of the overflowing nightstand. It makes me feel slightly less guilty about giving in to the addiction and buying more despite the already towering TBR pile. (I nearly buckled this weekend and walked out of The Strand with fifteen books, which would have killed my wallet and my arms.)

And I can't wait to read both Monsters and These Broken Stars!

Bethany Crandell said...

word.

Mindy McGinnis said...

It's good to know that I'm among those who understand my sickness :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Can totally relate. My TBR pile never goes down either because I'm constantly adding new books to it. If we just didn't need to sleep. Sigh.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Or eat, Natalie... or function in society.

Mary said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has this problem. :) So many books, so little time.

Morgan Wahl said...

I recently read an attempt to quantify that futility: http://what-if.xkcd.com/76/