Friday, January 31, 2014

Book Talk: THE GREAT DEATH by John Smelcer

My book talks are coming at you from a librarian, not a reviewer. You won't find me talking about style or craft, why I think this could've been better or what worked or didn't work. I only do book talks on books I liked and want other people to know about. So if it's here I probably think it won't injure your brain if you read it.

Sisters Millie and Maura are the only ones to survive when their Alaskan village is visited by white men who bring with them a camera, a notebook, and the pox in 1917. Young and alone with the worst of winter coming on, they travel downriver taking with them only what their small backs can carry. Each village they come to is the same - empty, except for the dogs who are eating the dead.

The girls use what their parents have taught them to face dangers from the weather, wild animals, and strangers in the woods. With only each other to depend on they keep going, despite the fear that they may be on the only people left alive in a world filling with snow.



2 comments:

Kel @ No Cucumber Sandwiches said...

This looks like an interesting read! How do you come across most of your reading material? Randomly picking it off the shelf, or is it more of a carefully planned hunt for predetermined titles?

Mindy McGinnis said...

Mostly it's just an offshoot of the day job. I open up boxes of books and get all these titles piled on my desk. Some of them are on my mental TBR and I just grab them over a weekend - which is what happened with this one.