Monday, January 13, 2014

Goodreads + Pinterest = Riffle

I have a new problem.

Much like a raccoon, I'm attracted to shiny objects. As a librarian I should be able to maintain some form of self-control when I see a pretty book cover. I've been burned enough times in the past to know better, but I still do a fancy-ass Lara Croft swan dive to get to the pretty hardcovers before the next person. Good flap copy helps too, but we're all visual creatures and a good cover is step number one in the love affair that starts when you make eye contact.

And Riffle has romanced me with its layout. When I login and see wall-to-wall shiny book covers that my friends are reading I go a little weak in the knees, spending more time than I should scrolling down, clicking, marking to-read, and then promising myself I'll log out soon. Yes, it's more social media that found a way to tweak my spine, and I think everyone is pretty aware that I have more than one addiction.

To see the book covers laid out like a Pinterest board that I didn't make yet seems to be calling my name, is like walking into a hotel room that inexplicably smells like your own home. I'm ridiculously happy when I'm playing with Riffle, and I don't have a good explanation other than that at heart I'm a baby mammal and this is a colorful, shiny thing.

And lists... oh... my little OCD librarian brain is rejoicing. I honestly scroll through my own lists just to see the books I put there one more time. It's like paging through your old high school yearbooks and being all, "I FORGOT about that thing / time / person!" And then you go all loosey goosey and call your friends and remind them about that thing / time / person. Except in this case it's a book. I'm re-reading like crazy right now, and forcing my friends into books from a few years ago that perhaps didn't float to the top of their TBR at the time.

My poor, long-suffering friends. Trust me. You don't want to know me in real life. I'm a demanding soul-sucker.

I actually found myself making a list of the lists I want to make on Riffle this weekend.

So check it out, you'll thank me. Or you might damn my name. Either way.

8 comments:

Kel @ No Cucumber Sandwiches said...

I tried Riffle very briefly, but I didn't get hooked. Which is odd. I use GoodReads quite a bit and Pinterest way more than I should, but Riffle ... I don't know. Maybe I think of books in too much of a text-heavy way to work with them as just images, whereas I'm happy to post pictures of home libraries and DIY projects til the cows come home on Pinterest. If that makes sense?

Natalie Aguirre said...

I use Goodreads, but never did anything with Riffle. I don't have time for too many social media sites. I'm not on Twitter or Facebook as much as I'd like as it is.

You always amaze me with all you can juggle social media wise plus work plus write.

Lisa Maxwell said...

This is EXACTLY what I thought of Riffle. And then I quickly closed the page before I got sucked into the wormhole of its awesomeness. :O)

Yvonne Osborne said...

I don't know....I really don't need another thing to suck me in and take me away from the writing. Then again, you know I know how to check it out. I like to keep lists of the books I've read, just in case I forget but sometimes a few still slip through the cracks.

I'm reading NOT A DROP TO DRINK on my kindle and enjoying it. Lynn is a gutsy little heroine and I just know someone has been watching her, measuring her, intrigued by her but firing off warning shots at her.....and I want to meet him! Good stuff!

Yvonne Osborne said...

Ah...I meant to say I now have to check it out.

Mindy McGinnis said...

The nice thing about Riffle I think, is that as an author I don't feel like there's pressure here that it's "one more thing" I need to be doing. It's less an author tool as it is a reader's haven... and I need that sometimes!

Debra McKellan said...

I'm going to pretend like I didn't read this, so I don't get addicted to another Goodreads/Pinterest. *walks away quickly*

Mindy McGinnis said...

But DEB Addictions are FUN!!! ;)