Thursday, February 6, 2014

Thursday Thoughts

Thoughts lately feature enigmatic insults...

1) I recently became frustrated with a student and told them to "go buy a donkey." I don't know what it meant, they didn't know what it meant, but somehow it felt like I won.

2) When I get new books in series I hold them back for the kids that I know are reading the series at the moment, in order for them to escape the clutchy hands of what I call "Shiny-Grabbers." These are patrons that have no intention of reading the book, but like the reflection of light off the shiny new dust jackets. I liken them to Gollum.

3) I spontaneously called someone a "Seashell-Picker" the other day. I don't know why I believe this has negative connotations, but it definitely feels like futility and kind of alludes to boogers.

5 comments:

Stephanie B said...

Lol. I love the names and terms you come up with. Ugh. "Shiny-Grabbers" are the worst.

Kel @ No Cucumber Sandwiches said...

I confess to kind of being a "Shiny-Grabber." It's so shiny! But I DO intend to read it (even if life sometimes gets in the way) and I only pick up titles I've heard/read about before. Does that still count?

Pili said...

You are awesome for keeping books away from the "Shiny-grabbers" to give them to those dying to read the books!!

Suzi said...

I think seashell-picker is kinda like a shiny-grabber. You see these pretty seashells on the beach and pick them up and bring them home. But they just get lumped into a container with all the others. So you maybe appreciated the shell for a moment, but then it's thrown in a place and ignored.

I will admit to grabbing seashells, but they usually get left behind. You know, unless I find a really cool one. :)

Mindy McGinnis said...

Oh I just got another one - "Scalp-Itcher."