Monday, April 7, 2014

Blog Tour - The Writing Process

I was invited by AB Westrick, a fellow Lucky 13 member and author of BROTHERHOOD which was a JLG Selection as well as winner of the National Council for the Social Studies Notable Trade Book Award. The Writing Process blog tour focuses on the writing process of authors as we pitch the same four questions around the loop, garnering diverse answers.

1) What am I working on?

I'm currently working on two different projects which are very different from one another. The first is a Gothic historical set in an asylum, the second a contemporary thriller. Both are YA titles.

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?

In everything I write, no matter how fantastical, I ask myself - OK if this actually happened in real life, how is it going to go down? What would real people say and do in this situation? You can have lofty ideals and heroic actions in mind, but reality isn't a pretty place- the reality in my novels often less so. I like to explore what the everyday life of real people would be like in fantastical situations.

3) Why do I write what I do?

I write widely, as my published works are post-apoc survival tales, and - as you can can see by my WIPs - I have a wandering mind. I write the stories that come into my head, and don't question the inspiration.

4) How does your writing process work?

I am an extreme pantster. I often don't even know what is going to happen in the next scene. I let it develop as I write it, allowing the characters to determine their own actions, and often their fates. I find it to be a very organic process when I'm not exercising complete control.

Next week's guest's for The Writing Process will be:

Liz Coley (PRETTY GIRL-13) - Liz Coley writes fiction for teens and the teen in you. Her debut novel Pretty Girl-13 has been sold in twelve translations on five continents and lists with ALA's 2014 Best Fiction for Young Adults and 2014 Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers. Her short work appears in several anthologies. Originally a California girl, Liz lives in Cincinnati with her husband and teenaged daughter, while the first two fledglings attend college and graduate school on the west coast. Liz sings in a church choir and plays on a club tennis team to keep her grounded and sane.

Bethany Crandell (SUMMER ON THE SHORT BUS) - Bethany lives in San Diego with her husband, two kiddos, (one of whom is differently-abled) and a chocolate lab who has no regard for personal space. She thinks that laughter is the best medicine, that avocados make the world go round, and that Jake Ryan is going to show up at her door any minute now….

Kate Karyus Quinn (ANOTHER LITTLE PIECE) - Kate is first and foremost an avid reader and unapologetic booknerd. Although, she mostly reads YA and romance, she often samples different genres in her constant search for the next great read.

2 comments:

ABWestrick said...

I am in awe of writers who can work on two or more projects at the same time, particularly two so different! Have you read THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER by fellow Lucky-13er, Megan Shepherd? Your Gothic reference made me think of that one.

I'm with you on allowing characters to determine their own actions. They can totally surprise us writers. Great post! I look forward to reading about the writing process of Liz, Bethany and Kate.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Thank you for inviting me.

Yes! I have read Megan's book and have the sequel earmarked for summer reading!