Thursday, April 2, 2015

YA Scavenger Hunt!


Welcome to YA Scavenger Hunt! This bi-annual event was first organized by author Colleen Houck as a way to give readers a chance to gain access to exclusive bonus material from their favorite authors...and a chance to win some awesome prizes! At this hunt, you not only get access to exclusive content from each author, you also get a clue for the hunt. Add up the clues, and you can enter for our prize--one lucky winner will receive one signed book from each author on the hunt in my team! But play fast: this contest (and all the exclusive bonus material) will only be online for 72 hours!


Go to the YA Scavenger Hunt page to find out all about the hunt. There are SIX contests going on simultaneously, and you can enter one or all! I am a part of the ORANGE TEAM--but there is also a red team, blue team, gold team, green team, teal team, purple team, pink team for a chance to win a whole different set of signed books!

If you'd like to find out more about the hunt, see links to all the authors participating, and see the full list of prizes up for grabs, go to the YA Scavenger Hunt page.

SCAVENGER HUNT PUZZLE

Directions: Below, you'll notice that I've listed my favorite number. Collect the favorite numbers of all the authors on the orange team, and then add them up (don't worry, you can use a calculator!). 

Entry Form: Once you've added up all the numbers, make sure you fill out the form here to officially qualify for the grand prize. Only entries that have the correct number will qualify.

Rules: Open internationally, anyone below the age of 18 should have a parent or guardian's permission to enter. To be eligible for the grand prize, you must submit the completed entry form by April 5, at noon Pacific Time. Entries sent without the correct number or without contact information will not be considered.

SCAVENGER HUNT POST

Today, I am hosting Rachel Carter on my website for the YA Scavenger Hunt! Rachel Carter likes to write about time travel and far away worlds. She's the author of the So Close to You series with HarperTeen, and a regular contributor to BookTrib.com. These days you can find her working on her next novel in the woods of Vermont.

Find out more information by checking out the Rachel's website or find more about the author's book here!

EXCLUSIVE CONTENT

Lydia has been trained into a person she might have once feared: focused, fierce, deadly. Although she never wanted the life of a Montauk Project recruit, the Project has captured someone she loves-someone she'll do anything to save.

From Rachel: 

The other day I realized I’ve never made a playlist for any of the So Close to You books. I listen to so much music while I write that I’ve always had a hard time trying to narrow each book down to just a few songs. But while I might not associate any specific music with specific scenes, there are definitely songs that instantly put me into a character’s head, that make me feel like I’m standing right next to them, and that sometimes break my heart when I think of everything they’ve gone through. So, just for YASH, here is an exclusive character playlist for the So Close to You universe:

Lydia: “Greater than Consequence,” by Amos and the Transparent




Not only is this one of my favorite songs of all time, but I think it perfectly captures what Lydia goes through in the series. The tune is melancholy and brutal, and just listen to the lyrics: “Hide yourself from all this consequence/Cause its seen more love than sense/So forward on.” Lydia is consistently blinded by love. She lets that overcome reason in So Close to You, and then has to deal with the consequences of her actions in the next two novels. She learns hard lessons, almost gives up, but ultimately never stops moving forward. I couldn’t imagine a better song for her if I tried.

Wes: “The Ocean,” by Noah Gundersen




My favorite word for Wes is “yearning.” There’s so much he wants, but he truly believes any happiness is impossible. This song, with its mournful violin and its searching lyrics (“And maybe one day I will reach the ocean.”), is so sad and so Wes. Also, it reminds me of post-This Strange and Familiar Place, where there’s so much Wes wants to say to Lydia, but all he can do is wait and pray that she has faith in him.  

Lydia’s Grandpa: “Keep Me in Your Heart for a While,” by Warren Zevon



Every time I think about Lydia and her grandfather I want to cry. Peter Bentley goes through so much in this series, and Lydia tries so hard to save him. Accepting his – and her – fate is part of her journey, but I love listening to this song and imagining it as a letter to Lydia.

Mary: “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B,” by The Andrews Sisters



I tried to find a modern song for Mary, I really did. But she seems so frozen in the 1940s with her red lipstick and old timely slang that I knew she needed a retro song to represent her. Plus this song appears in So Close to You when they go to the USO dance! Energetic, bright, happy – a perfect Mary song. 

Lucas: “Watching You Watch Him,” by Eric Hutchinson



I was hesitant to pick this song, as I think it really only represents Lucas in book 1. But from the first moment I heard it, I instantly thought of Lucas. Not just because of the lyrics, but the energy of the song – upbeat despite the sad message. That lightness and optimism even in the face of hardship are what make him and Mary a perfect couple.

LJ: “Drive,” by the Cars



I’ve always loved this song and I think the atmospheric quality fits LJ really well. “Can’t go on, thinking nothing’s wrong” – is there a more perfect lyric for him? He’s faced so much, and then his world is upended all over again. When I hear, “Who’s gonna drive you home tonight?” I imagine it’s LJ wondering who’s going to take care of him now, and how he’s going to make things right.

Tag: “Carry On,” Fun.



On the surface Tag seems really easy-going, but he’s also a street kid and a survivor, a passionate artist, a father-figure/protector, a loyal friend, and a compassionate leader. When I heard this song, I just knew it fit. Tag never gives up, and he never stops being strong for the people around him.

Nikki: “This Woman’s Work,” by Greg Laswell



I get chills when I listen to this Kate Bush cover. And it’s so perfectly Nikki: “I know you have a little life in you yet. I know you have a lot of strength left.” She thinks she’s given up, she thinks she’s hit the bottom, but she hasn’t. She’s a character who doesn’t know her own strength, and this song is heartbreakingly fitting.

Tim: “King and Lionheart,” Of Monsters and Men




Tim’s a newer character (another recruit in Find me Where the Water Ends), but I kind of wish he’d been around since the beginning. He’s exactly what Lydia needs in her life – an uncomplicated friendship that helps her come back to herself. Just like Tim, this song is about having a lion-heart and taking a stand instead of giving in. 

Twenty-two: “Ghost Towns,” Radical Face



Oh, Twenty-two. She’s such a tough character to like. Her attitude is understandable – the Montauk Project has completely broken her – but she certainly makes things hard for Lydia. I love this song for her though; if anyone is a walking ghost town, it’s Twenty-two. And with how much names matter to her, this line is perfect: “There’s no going home, with a name like mine.”

There are so many more characters I want to find songs for – Hannah, Grant, Dr. Bentley – but I’ll just have to save that for the next Scavenger Hunt!

*****************************************************************************************

And don't forget to enter the contest for a chance to win a ton of signed books by me, Rachel Carter, and more! To enter, you need to know that my favorite number is 9Add up all the favorite numbers of the authors on the orange team and you'll have all the secret code to enter for the grand prize!

CONTINUE THE HUNT

To keep going on your quest for the hunt, you need to check out the next author! 






4 comments:

Autumn said...

Nice song list. I haven't heard of hardly any of the songs before except maybe one or two. It is nice to see what the author likes to listen to when writing a story. Thanks for sharing.

Michka said...

Ooooh The Cars. People just don't play the classic 70s/80s bands like them anymore. It's all the 80s pop rock.

Great list! Thanks for hosting, Mindy!

Gracie said...

Nice song list - some oldies but goodies there!

Kassiah Faul said...

Love the song list! Thanks for participating in the YASH! xo