Monday, February 1, 2016

So You'd Like To Follow My Blog, Eh?

Last week I suddenly lost about 70 followers, according to Google Friend Connect, which had me wondering how I managed to offend. My mom is fond of telling me I could stand to be a little nicer, but I'm 36 now (37 next month) and I think she's going to have to acknowledge the fact that I'm never going to be the roses type.

All that being said, it turns out I didn't do anything wrong (duh) but rather Google (of which Blogger is a product) chose to remove the ability for people without a Google account to log into Google Friend Connect. Quoting from their forum below:

In 2011, we announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs. 

As part of this plan, starting the week of January 11, we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count.

Mystery solved. Yet I'm saddened. I feel a little hole in my heart - I do have one - in roughly the shape of the number 70 plus a number in the tens place. So, if you're one of the people that got the Blogger boot, feel free to follow me via email (sign up in the sidebar to the right - but be warned you'll have an email in your inbox every single time I post), or bite the bullet and get a Google account.

I promise you'll only feel the twinge of conformity for a second.

9 comments:

Michelle 4 Laughs said...

I'd forgotten this was coming and thought I imagined a drop of about 100 from my blog followers. I thought I was mistaken in the numbers. Now at least I know I'm not crazy. :-)

Deborah R. Hawkins said...

Google is so hungry for love.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I thought it was something I said or did, too. I don't have a ton of Followers so when the number kept dropping, I freaked. But I gained someone new recently, so that helped ease the pain. :)

(By the way, I quoted you on my blog today - your words totally cracked me up!)

Mindy McGinnis said...

It's good to know that other Bloggers were feeling the same way. I was thinking, "Oh man, maybe mom was right all along!"

Madeline - Really? I'll go check that out!

Susan said...

That explains why I just lost a bunch, too. Lame. Reading this post did make me realize that I don't follow you on GFC (just on Bloglovin'), so you now have another follower :)

Christina T said...

It's pretty disheartening to see this.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but your blog is also on Bloglovin' (right here. So you can be followed that way as well.

Mindy McGinnis said...

Huh... I actually didn't know it was on Bloglovin' - cool.

E.B. Black said...

Yea, I lost about 20 followers and it made me sad, too, even though I figured that was probably the case.

Amanda & John Nash said...

dumb.